Honored Contributor

Re: Have you Ever Lived by Yourself? Did you Adjust Well?

@JBKO

I've always enjoyed my solitude .... it's when I re-charge my batteries, so living alone is always peaceful. 

There's a big difference between being alone and being lonely.    Being alone gives you time to do things in your own way.   Being lonely means you can call a friend, go out, visit someone, or change it in some other way.

While I've enjoyed being in relationships/being married, I think I've been often most at peace when I've lived alone.   Honestly, I don't think I've ever been lonely.

Honored Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

It looks like most everyone who has lived alone, really enjoyed it. I was going through my clothes while packing and I threw away a few pants I'd use when my sister had her boyfriend over. Now that I'll be on my own, I can be in my underwear instead lol.

Fingers crossed I'll get married in the next 5 or so years. If not, I may consider a dog. I'm so sad that I won't be living with Leopold, my sister's cockapoo anymore. 

Be careful about that @JBKO.  Back about 10 years ago I was doing my workout and it was summer and the sun was setting on that portion of my home so I was topless.  Sweating as usual so why not workout in shorts and tennis shoes only.

Finished up and was racing around doing tiny household chores and getting trash out for pickup.  Not only did I have my hand on the front door knob but I had already opened it a little and caught sight of myself.  No shirt on.  I would have scared my neighbors to death.  Imagine the talk did you see that "old woman" out running around naked?

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

The only down-sides are 1.  you have to clean your own messes and 2.  you have to kill your own bugs.  911 takes care of all the others negatives.  The rest is all wonderfully positive. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11  I've also had serious health issues since early childhood. Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected to survive my healthy husband. Our son looked into Independent and Assisted Living for me at the time. Frankly, I was too busy grieving to consider a move. When I began to think about downsizing, the last place I wanted to go was into such a place! With hired help, I've managed very well since 2005. Don't have any plans to leave my home of 30 years any time soon. You never know what life will throw your way and the strength you will muster to deal with it. I've certainly learned disability and becoming a widow is not for the meek. An independent woman is a happy woman. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Trinity11  I've also had serious health issues since early childhood. Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected to survive my healthy husband. Our son looked into Independent and Assisted Living for me at the time. Frankly, I was too busy grieving to consider a move. When I began to think about downsizing, the last place I wanted to go was into such a place! With hired help, I've managed very well since 2005. Don't have any plans to leave my home of 30 years any time soon. You never know what life will throw your way and the strength you will muster to deal with it. I've certainly learned disability and becoming a widow is not for the meek. An independent woman is a happy woman. 

I have hypoglycemic attacks in the middle of the night from insulin dependent Type 1 diabetes. Once my pump malfunctioned and I went into shock. Numerous hospitalizations later, I thank the stars that I didn't die. Without my husband to call 911, I would not be here.

Every situation is different @BirkiLady. I am very sorry for your loss.

Trusted Contributor

I don't want to live alone but if I'm faced with it one day will probably get 1 or 2 additional dogs.  I think the hardest part is vulnerability to new people you meet or to people you've known but not as a person living alone.  When someone else knows you live alone...well, things can change.  Trust me they just sometimes do.    

Honored Contributor

No, and I would not do well living alone, not ashamed to admit it either!

Trusted Contributor

@excpa wrote:

The only down-sides are 1.  you have to clean your own messes and 2.  you have to kill your own bugs.  911 takes care of all the others negatives.  The rest is all wonderfully positive. 

I find it difficult to replace the batteries when one of our smoke detectors starts chirping.  There's one in particular I can never get.