Honored Contributor

Have to share my excellent and uh oh customer service experiences

[ Edited ]

To make a very long story short, I bought a nice (expensive smartphone) last September from Amazon along with the necessary accessories.  The order was cancelled after Amazon could not find a phone to send to me.  Say what?  Smiley Surprised  The accessories had already shipped and were now useless since it's apparently a high crime for any tech accessory to ever be interchangeable with any other phone.   

So I go back to Amazon and find an alternate seller with great reviews and a clearly stated warranty that Amazon will fulfill shipment on.  The kicker is I am held up for an extra $50.  I eat the extra cost and get my new phone.

Five months in, Google sends out their system update and my phone begins updating.  Then it dies.  Off to phone heaven.  Never to be able to be turned on again.  Smiley Sad  

After lots of ridiculous hoops that I jump successfully, Motorola finally decides to honor their 12 month warranty.  I guess their math teacher showed up for work that day and explained 5 months is less than 12 months and yes you have to fix her phone.  She's given you everything you've asked for.

Get the clearance from Motorola to submit the repair request and after two weeks of zero communication, I get a second email that they will actually not be honoring the warranty because the Amazon seller is not an authorized Motorola dealer.    

I've had enough and I send a polite yet clear email tagged for seller feedback to Amazon explaining the situation and that maybe they should have a system in place to make sure that any seller advertising a US warranty actually have one since I don't want any one else to have such an expensive lesson like me.

Within two hours, I get an apology email back along with a notice that Amazon will be refunding the entire purchase price of my 5 month old phone.  (I'm sure that will be recouped from the seller.)

Smiley SurprisedSmiley SurprisedSmiley Surprised  I am still in shock.  

Never asked for a refund.  Never hinted at one.  Just said please protect those that come after me and yourself since they used your site to either intentionally or more likely unintentionally take advantage of a customer.  Most people never need their warranties and they took a chance selling the product with an advertised one that they didn't realize would not be honored by the manufacturer.  I was the rare case that needed to use it and couldn't.   

Motorola I honestly have mixed feelings about.  They are not responsible for a seller's incorrect listing.  But changing your mind after you validate the proof of purchase is completely unethical and unprofessional and I told them so.  There may also have been a copy of a horse head in that reply too.  I'm not sure....Smiley Wink     Just communicate right the first time and don't do a switcharoo when it comes time to hold up your end of the deal.  

BTW, my new phone is another Motorola but it's a cheap model.  So if it dies after 5 months, I'm okay with the time period and money spent. Maybe...Smiley Indifferent  Let's just say they have their second chance and Walmart is authorized.  Smiley Happy  

I am not a Prime member.  I spend very little on Amazon actually but thumbs up for an excellent, totally above and beyond customer experience.  You could have knocked me over after I got that response from them.  

I have to say the only other time I also got incredible no questions really asked service was here at QVC when the post office lost one of my shipments for a week.  QVC was ready to replace it with a duplicate shipment until the package finally turned up and I was able to save them the trouble and expense.  Incredible response duly noted.    Smiley Happy

I had to share this because just about everything we hear these days is negative.  There is good out there and it's a shame it took a broken cell phone to show me that some businesses still do get it.  I may not work for one but they are out there.  Most of my shopping these days is with QVC, Amazon and other locals and there it will remain.

It also helps to be polite and courteous to the company reps because that goes a long way too.  We CSR peeps really want to do what we can for you.  Nice to know it's not all bad out there and I have some great colleagues in the customer service world.  

Oh and learn my lesson.  Just because a seller may advertise a warranty doesn't mean the manufacturer agrees.  Check it out online to be sure the manufacturer actually will take care of you in the event you need them to.  

Happy Shopping!

Honored Contributor

Re: Have to share my excellent and uh oh customer service experiences

Thanks for the interesting topic about sellers on amazon and warranties.I would never have thought about that.

Respected Contributor

Good story with a very satisfied & savvy customer.  Thanks for the tip of checking with the mfr as well.  I have had nothing but excellent cs from amazon.  They tracked a pkg that was lost for more than a week and shipped to me.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

My limited experience with Amazon (and a negative transaction) has been excellent.

Esteemed Contributor

I second the vote for Amazon.  I have nothing but the best experience with them!

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

...The accessories had already shipped which were now useless since it's apparently a high crime for any tech accessory to ever be interchangeable with any another phone....After lots of ridiculous hoops that I jump succesfully... There may also have been a copy of a horse head in that reply too.  I'm not sure....Smiley Wink     ...

@Laura14

ROFLOL!  Excellent post...thanks for the info and for writing it in such an clever and understandable manner.  

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

That's why Amazon is a huge company- they treat their customers right - remember the old saying "The customer is always right"?  Well, I think the Q and other shopping channels have forgotten how important their customer base is and how good it makes them look when they get a compliment like this. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been a huge shopper on  Amazon for way over 15 yrs and any problem I have ever had,(which are few), I have to say, have always been taken care of immediately,swiftly  refunded and I have never,ever had to return an item...........ever!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Laura14

Well-written! 

I enjoyed reading your account of the happenings!

Isn't it encouraaging? ✅ 

Bad internet-- will write more later!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Occasional Contributor

Laura14, I enjoyed your post! You have a very unique and engaging writing style. 

My son works for Amazon. He was hired part time his Junior year of college and transitioned to full time after graduation. He is a Data Analyst. They seem to treat their employees well! Lots of perks. It's nice to hear that they also go above and beyond for their customers.