Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have heard animal noises in wood stove

@SeasonedCitizen ,  I wouldn't assume the critter is out of there.

A chimney person can easily inspect the inner shaft of the chimney for you. Nowadays they feed a light and tiny camera through the inside of the chimney to see what's going on in there.

If it's all clear you can have the chimney stack removed at the roof line, sealed, or at least topped with a wire cage to keep it from attracting critters in the future.

Trusted Contributor

We have a wood stove.  3 years in a row when hubby opened it to start it a bird flew out.  It happens.  We have also found a dead one in there before.  After the 3rd time hubby finally put a cover on the roof vent.

I would call a local handyman to put a screen over the top of the chimney pipe, you don't need a special fireplace person to do that.  

Esteemed Contributor

My neighbor had that happen and it was a raccoon that had babies in there....She hadn't used her chemney in awhile either..

She had to call a trapper and then a place to put a cover on her chimney..

She lives in a Cape Cod stle house and I was amazed it got up there...

Good Luck!

Esteemed Contributor

If you have an outdoor ash door you can confirm it is closed.  You can also confirm from inside that the damper is closed.

Someone will need to come to confirm there is no breach in the stove pipe.

Up on the roof you should have a tallish, capped stovepipe chimney with a heavy mesh cover.  Again need roof access.

There will flashing around the base that needs looking at.

I have fought this battle for a long time since I use my stove when the electricity is off.

Mostly if everything is order it is a squirrel looking for a new home.  But the sounds echo down the pipe.

Respected Contributor

A long time ago, we heard scratching in our fireplace and when I shined a light in , there were two full sized Muscovy ducks in there!  Animal control came and got them out and released them back to the pond behind our house.  She said they mate for life and one must have gone down the chimney and the other one followed it.  We quickly put a cover over the chimney and never had any repeat visitors!

QVC Customer Care

Super Contributor

@Kachina624 you are probably correct about it being a bird.  My grandparents lived on a farm and had a wood stove.  During the winter they kept a fire going almost all the time but during summer months there was no fire.  I can remember hearing noises and whatever flew/fell or crawled down the chimney somehow got back out.  I don't remember grandaddy getting anything out or any smell.  Of course I was not there all the time so maybe he got them out when I was not there.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

It could also be a bat(s), so I would hesitate to try the 'open the stove' option myself.

I would continue calling any 'critter control' companies until someone responded.

@KingstonsMom  ... yes, I can’t remember where I read it but, I recently read that someone had bats in the chimney... you need to call an exterminator 👿

@SeasonedCitizen  .... sorry, I meant to send this to you

Respected Contributor

Years ago we had a bird nest in our fireplace. We called a chimney sweep and they came out and go the nest out and then capped the chimney. Problem solved.

Honored Contributor

This would totally freak me out as I would be concerned an animal is suffering.  I would have to find out immediately what was occurring.