Honored Contributor

Re: Have any of you applied for SS survivors benefits?

We signed up DH on Mon for SS since he's now 70. 

I was surprised to hear the woman can get all of the husbands benefit when

he passes.  I figured just a percentage, etc. 

No, when your husband passes you can get all he was collecting.

We had an appt too that we had to fight for on the national  SS line

didn't do us much good didn't call his name till half hr later.

Thank God that ordeal is over. We made sure we had all credentials with us

Took his passport, drivers license, SS card, banking information.

You will get turned away and have to wait and come back if you don't have

your credentials.   I was loaded for bear, got in and got out

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@gizmogal   Have a death cert. too.  I got 3 extras just in case.  I work on I'd rather have it and not needed rather than need it and not have it.

In addition to all this "stuff" my washer died and my son announced I need new struts on the car and something else I can't remember.

If this is a test I don't like it. lol

you will probably find that you will need more than that.

when my father died we ordered 20 and went through them quickly.  we definitely had to order more. pretty much any account/deed that needed to be closed or changed only to my mothers name needed a death certificate.

Good Advice!

When my parents died (5 days apart). I ordered 50 Death Certificates of my Father. I used almost all of them. It seemed like every company and financial institution requires an original (with seal) death certficate before they will do anything. It even got to the point I thought I would run out of original Certificates. I think I ended up with 3 left over.

But I must say when I applied to go onto Social Security last year, I was impressed. I did it by phone. And everyone I spoke to was so nice and helpful.

Esteemed Contributor

Appointment went fine.  Appt. was 11:00 am, they called my name at 11:03 and I was walking out at 11:22. It was bing, bang, boom.  Only needed certified copy of marriage certificate.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE , You should get the full amount because he retired or signed up for SS at 70. It all depends at what age he retires, otherwise the spouse would only get 70 or 75%, Age 70 is the age for retirement in order to receive full retirement benefits

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@gizmogal   Have a death cert. too.  I got 3 extras just in case.  I work on I'd rather have it and not needed rather than need it and not have it.

In addition to all this "stuff" my washer died and my son announced I need new struts on the car and something else I can't remember.

If this is a test I don't like it. lol

@CrazyKittyLvr2 ...I am in the same situation as you. Someone from SS is supposed to be calling me. I was told it can take several weeks.

I ask myself every day if I am being tested. I am on stress overload.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

@catwhisperer   I am sorry you have to deal with this stuff too.  Calling SS was something I knew I would have to do but it wasn't high on list of concerns.  However, the funeral director told me not to wait, do it right away.  The reason, I called 2 days later at the end of May and the soonest appt. was today 7/9.  I was told it's too late to start the new amount this month, it will be August.  Howver, I was surprised I will get what I didn't get in June and July in a few days. 

I will admit to wanting to punch a wall after dealing with different places.  Of course I didn't but I did swear a blue streak now and then.

All I can say is I take one day at a time. Some are easier than others but it's all I or anyone can do.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

With my survivor´s benefit, I was surprised that because my husband´s birthday was the 20th of the month  I  receive mine the third Wednesday of each month. My neice and nephew  receive   theirs on the second Wednesday because their dad´s birthday was the 5th of the month.

Esteemed Contributor

When my husband was making his appt w/SS a friend mentioned to me that I could also collect on his because I didn't have enough 'quarters' I think was the word to collect on mine. So he got his amount every month and I received an amount equal to half of what he was was receiving every month. Had she not told me I wouldn't have known this. Anyway, when he passed away the amount I was receiving was then replaced by the amount he had been receiving which thus was double what I had been getting. 

Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl, A friend of mine did that also but it only applies to people either at the age of 62 or something like that.

Honored Contributor

SS survivors benefits apply to a surviving spouse over the age of 60.  Some of us would not otherwise be eligible for SS benefits. 

In my opinion, this is what the OP was seeking info about, but many of the responses here appear to be about SS retirement benefits. 

For those of us who aren’t yet old enough to collect SS, but are eligible for survivors benefits...yes, we have to make an actual appointment and often have numerous forms of backup documents.  There is a lot of fraud concerning these monthly benefits, so I understand why they ask us to bring them, even if we may not have to use them. 

As to the dates when when we get our payment....my husbands birthday was on the 7th.  Sometimes I get my payment on the 2nd Tuesday, other times on the second Wednesday.