Honored Contributor

Re: Have any of you applied for SS survivors benefits?

@catwhisperer wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@gizmogal   Have a death cert. too.  I got 3 extras just in case.  I work on I'd rather have it and not needed rather than need it and not have it.

In addition to all this "stuff" my washer died and my son announced I need new struts on the car and something else I can't remember.

If this is a test I don't like it. lol

@CrazyKittyLvr2 ...I am in the same situation as you. Someone from SS is supposed to be calling me. I was told it can take several weeks.

I ask myself every day if I am being tested. I am on stress overload.

@catwhisperer    Just wondering why you think someone from SS is going to call you?  Did you leave a message for them to do this?  I ask, because in my experience, we need to be the ones doing the calling.  I tried many times after my husband died, and got discouraged over the long on hold times, when I had so much else to do.  

Finally, one day, I just put the phone on speaker while I was on hold with them....did other things, and finally an actual person picked up. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september ...I called SS and spoke to a person who told me that a person would be calling me to get further info.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@september ...I called SS and spoke to a person who told me that a person would be calling me to get further info.

I think different local offices handle things differently?  I was not able to do anything by phone. Needed an in person interview 

Esteemed Contributor

@september   When I initially called there was a wait time, I was asked if I wanted a callback. I said yes and I had to say my name and was told what time to expect a call.  They called right on time.

Respected Contributor

@Sage04   It has to do with the date of your birthday.  They are sent on a Wednesday, so it depends on the date and when it falls.  Example for July, say your birthday is 22nd of the month, so in July you would receive it on the 24th but in August you would receive it on the 28th.

Years ago, everyone received it on the 3rd of the month but it was changed so the pay outs would from the treasury department would be staggered which makes more business sense.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 depending on your birth date, SS payments are made on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th Wednesday of the month.

You can find the schedule on the SS website.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter , I was talking about Survivor´s benefits which is different from SS. I just realized that we are saying the same thing lol

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Somertime , I receive my survivor´s benefits the third Wednesday of every month. Of course the date won´t be the same.  Always the third Wednesday.

As far as I understand it, it has to do with the birth date of the decease. My neice and nephew receive theirs on the second Wednesday because their dad´s birth date.

Esteemed Contributor

I wish it´s was the same for everyone who applies. Maybe it depends on the State and how busy they are. I didn´t make an appoinment and it didn´t take long to see someone . My sister made an appointment for her kids and it took three weeks before they were seen.

Respected Contributor

@Sage04   That is what I was saying but I should have used the word his instead of your.  Yes, it does have to do with the day of birth.  I am supposed to get mine on the third Wednesday of the month but if the birth date falls after that Wednesday, it comes the following Wednesday.

You should receive a letter as well stating the amount you will receive.