Honored Contributor

Have a little Spic and Span with your cereal

[ Edited ]

42C1845B-16B6-4D7B-AF04-DCE17D6808A7.jpegI can't believe all the additives that food makers put in our food. It's not easy to avoid these additives. 

Today, I just wanted to try a new cereal. I wanted something I have not had before and I wasn't looking for a healthy cereal since it's just going to something for one box that's easy and fast to eat to break up the monotony of what I have been eating lately. I haven't had any cereal in a few months. I ordered Cinnamon Toast Crunch from Publix and had some, dry, right out of the box, last night. Well, this stuff is delicious and very addictive. I'm confessing to munching on even more today, a lot more. I am usually a label reader and I check labels before I buy or eat food, except this time. When I went to sleep I had no stomach upset, which was making me very happy. Now for my reality check. I just checked the ingredients and, lo and behold, I see Trisodium Phosphate about midway in the listing. Oh great, General Mills has chosen to add Trisodium Phosphate, the ingredient that is found as Spic and Span powder to this recipe. Just what I need. 

TSP is in many foods and I usually avoid it. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Have a little Spic and Span with your cereal

@Mindy D wrote:

When I went to sleep I had no stomach upset, which was making me very happy.

I see Trisodium Phosphate about midway in the listing. 

Just what I need. 

Apparently so!  Smiley Wink

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D  I was really alarmed by your post. I looked it up, and it does seem like a cleaner. But, I also saw this on PubChem:

Trisodium phosphate is a sodium phosphate.

Sodium Phosphate is an inorganic compound used as a laxative, dietary supplement and for electrolyte-replacement purposes. Phosphate, a predominant intracellular anion, plays an important role in energy storage, osteoblastic and osteoclastic activities, regulating serum calcium concentrations, and numerous cellular phosphate-transfer reactions. Sodium phosphate increases fluidity of the intestinal contents by retention of water by osmotic forces, thereby indirectly inducing intestinal smooth muscle constriction. Sodium phosphate is also used in the renal excretion of hydrogen ions while promoting the reabsorption of sodium ions.

I think this is the link:

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Trisodium-phosphate#:~:text=Trisodium%20phosphate%20is%20a....

Now I don't know what to think. More research is required.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   You'd better Brace yourself.  There's a wealth of info online about it but it's also found in these foods:

These also can cause the same health problems as TSP so you really need to keep your eyes open.

So many products might contain TSP. Here's a list of common offenders.

Breakfast Cereals*

Lunchmeat

Ham

Other processed meats

Processed cheese

Cheese sauces

Rice syrup

Canned soups

Cake mixes

Bread

Pizza dough

Other baked goods

Toothpastes for adults, kids and babies

Mouthwash

Hair coloring and bleaching products

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Mindy D  I was really alarmed by your post. I looked it up, and it does seem like a cleaner. But, I also saw this on PubChem:

Trisodium phosphate is a sodium phosphate.

Sodium Phosphate is an inorganic compound used as a laxative, dietary supplement and for electrolyte-replacement purposes. Phosphate, a predominant intracellular anion, plays an important role in energy storage, osteoblastic and osteoclastic activities, regulating serum calcium concentrations, and numerous cellular phosphate-transfer reactions. Sodium phosphate increases fluidity of the intestinal contents by retention of water by osmotic forces, thereby indirectly inducing intestinal smooth muscle constriction. Sodium phosphate is also used in the renal excretion of hydrogen ions while promoting the reabsorption of sodium ions.

I think this is the link:

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Trisodium-phosphate#:~:text=Trisodium%20phosphate%20is%20a....

Now I don't know what to think. More research is required.

@PA Mom-mom @It's great when you want to scrub your walls before painting. 😀I used to buy unbranded TSP before painting at the paint store. When I first  became aware of it in so many foods I was shocked. It's in so many foods. The food makers are counting on consumers to not have read and remembered what was in their cleaning products. Lobbyists did a pretty darn good job of getting lawmakers to change the laws requiring cleaning products to have ingredient labeling about fifteen or so years ago. This means that there are few people around that know off the top of their heads what's in Spic and Span. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. TSP is not the worst of the bunch of additives. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mindy D   You'd better Brace yourself.  There's a wealth of info online about it but it's also found in these foods:

These also can cause the same health problems as TSP so you really need to keep your eyes open.

So many products might contain TSP. Here's a list of common offenders.

Breakfast Cereals*

Lunchmeat

Ham

Other processed meats

Processed cheese

Cheese sauces

Rice syrup

Canned soups

Cake mixes

Bread

Pizza dough

Other baked goods

Toothpastes for adults, kids and babies

Mouthwash

Hair coloring and bleaching products

@Kachina624 @Its not new to me. I've known about it for years. I just thought that others here might want to hear about it. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D    Read the warning on the front of the picture of the box you posted.  I do know if you use the product in that box, they tell you to wear gloves. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Mindy D I was slow to put it together with what you originally posted. When I saw the packaging a lightbulb went off. Lynette Jennings on HGTV years ago would tell her audience to wash kitchen cabinets with that stuff to remove the grease and other residue before painting. Lovely!

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@Mindy D I was slow to put it together with what you originally posted. When I saw the packaging a lightbulb went off. Lynette Jennings on HGTV years ago would tell her audience to wash kitchen cabinets with that stuff to remove the grease and other residue before painting. Lovely!

Well, now we know of a hack for Cinnamon Toast Crunch!   I do know my niece's college cafeteria couldn't keep it in stock it was so popular. 

You know with the eco-minded young people. . . Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   This is one of the many reasons I am whole food plant based....rare that I eat a processed food.