Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have You or Someone You Know Been on a TV Game Show?

Always loved watching game shows.

I never knew anyone personally but in our small town someone local

visited CA a couple years back and got on The Price is Right. So it

made the paper and of course the contestant had to keep totally 

quiet until the episode aired. Won a few prizes too.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

Sometime in the 1060s I had an Aunt who was on The Price is Right. What ever possessed her to try to get on this show is totally beyond me but she was. She won a boat!!!  Well growing up in NJ being really close to the shore of course after she received it I remember a few of us went out on it. Happened only once then they sold the boat. No one in the family knew nothing about boating, it was fun for a NJ minute!

@PINKdogWOOD  I don't think there was television in the 1060s.😄
Respected Contributor

I think it's strange that on Wheel of Fortune, where they are all standing 6+ feet apart and using a special implement to spin the wheel so they don't touch others' "germs", they are still giving away trips all over the world.  I wondered if you could opt for the cash or how long you have before you have to use it.

Valued Contributor

Yes, my sister was on Lets Make a Deal many years ago. She won a Green Ford Pinto and had to pay the taxes on it. 

Honored Contributor

The grown daughter of a dear lady I used to sit next to in choir was on Jeopardy.  She did fairly well, made it through a few shows.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I know someone who has been on a TV Game Show.

Respected Contributor

When I was a kid, a neighbor and an aunt both did well on game shows.  Back then, if you won a trip you had to take it yourself or forfeit.  My aunt won a few trips, but couldn't get all that time off work .  She wanted to give one trip to Canada to my grandparents, but wasn't allowed.

The neighbor had to sell some of her prizes to pay the taxes.  There was a motor boat parked in their driveway for months, waiting to be sold.

All in all, it was well worth it to them and both came out well ahead.  Great experience!

Honored Contributor

@wismiss Years ago when I lived in So. Cal. a friend of ours was on Price Is Right in the audience and won a refrigerator! She was thrilled.

Honored Contributor

My cousin's son was a "classmate" on "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader."  (Yes, I know, it's an annoying show.)  I don't know how much he was paid or won. 

Honored Contributor

I never got called up for the price is right from the audience because I was wearing a good support bra.