Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have You Vacationed Alone?

@feline groovy wrote:

Yep; just a few times in the 80's and 90's.

One was a three-day jaunt back in 1996, when I enjoyed my very first bed & breakfast (and other stuff) in the quiet shore town of Spring Lake, NJ.

Love Spring Lake, NJ

Respected Contributor

I'm glad for those of you that enjoy vacationing alone.  For myself, I couln't imagine it.  I would just stay home.

I don't like to drive.  We fly, but I get all rattled at airports afraid I'll go the wrong direction and miss my plane.  Couldn't do it on my own.

I like to talk. Going on a trip alone would not be fun for me at all. 

No way for me.  I can be by myself alone at home for days, but not go on vacation alone.  I'd beg someone to go with me or even pay thier way. 

Occasional Contributor

I love travellng alone!  You can meet wonderful new people.  But, if you're worried, consider a train trip. It's not cheap to get a sleeping compartment, but if you take a cross country trip, meals, which are included in the price, are taken in the dining car and you are seated where there is space.  I've met some fascinating people that way, and in this casse, the journey is the destination.  Most lines don't charge extra if you get off at a place, stay a few days, then continue on, though you do have to make a separate reservations. .  One of my favorites is The Empire Builder, the Amtrak route from Chicago to Seattle or Tacoma.  It goes through Glacier National Park and you can stop there for a day or more, and the scenery is stunning.  If you can afford it, you could then take the Coast Starliner down the Washington/Oregon/California coast and stop in San Fracisco (actually Oakland, if I remember right), then go on to LA, then go back using the Empire Builder, which goes through the Rockies.  You can stop in Flagstiff, rent a car and make a side trip to the Grand Canyon,   (OK, now I want to do this. I haven't for a very long time.)  As I said, it's not cheap to get a sleeper, but if you have the money well worth it.  It allows you to have as much alone time as you want or feel you need, but you can always go to the scenic car and spend time there, engaging in conversation.  Oh, how I wish I could afford it now!

Occasional Contributor

oops--the return train is The California Zephyr.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also have begun to take solo vacations and have so far traveled solo to 5 continents with the plan to visit all 7 before I'm 50.  Like many of the others who have posted, I do a mix of completely solo trips and group tours.  One of the group tours (my first BIG solo trip to Africa) was with a women only group and most were also traveling alone.   FYI - women traveling alone is BIG business and very popular.

On group tours, I pay for the solo supplement, but some tours will place you with another person if you don't want to pay the extra.

I'm not as adventerous as some of the previous replies!  My true solos have been to large cities - I live in a city and am comfortable in them.  NYC, Rio de Janiero, Barcelona and Seoul.  But, even then, I usually take a day tour.  I've done cruises alone (and have several planned coming up), but I don't like cruising alone as much because I am more introverted.  My wildlife trips have been group tours.  My favorite trips are a combo city/wildlife - best of both of what I like.

Depending on where you are going, one thing I like to do is take a food tour.  Did this in San Antonio, Barcelona (2 times) and Seoul.  They could be a little expensive, but I had great dinners (lunch in San Antonio), learned about the area, met interesting people and I didn't eat alone that night. I don't necessarily mind eating alone, but I agree that it is sometimes nice to eat with people.

Contributor

OP, I'm glad you decided to go, and thanks so much for starting the thread! I've been traveling alone for a few years now - out of necessity because my husband doesn't enjoy traveling as much as I do. I simply MUST travel!! Got used to traveling alone in the U.S., and started going alone internationally. I've been to England, Bermuda, and Scotland so far, because there's no language barrier. In November I'm going whole hog: around the world for 3 weeks, thanks mostly to frequent flyer miles. I'm a bit nervous but greatly encouraged by posters here who have traveled alone internationally.