Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Vacationed Alone?

I personally prefer to have someone with whom to share the experience.  That's half the fun.

i have a 60something cousin who has plenty of money and every year takes a major trip alone for an extended time to some off-the-beat foreign country.  This year she went to Tanzania.  I admire her for having the guts to do it but I'm not that much of an adventurer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Absolutely...........it's wonderful!!

Esteemed Contributor

I like to go to the beach in the late fall or early winter.  I've done that many times by myself but I stay at the same place and know the staff and a ton of the snowbirds that are there for the winter.  I may go out to eat with someone I know once I'm there but many times, I'll go out to dinner by myself and/or go shopping alone. 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yep; just a few times in the 80's and 90's.

One was a three-day jaunt back in 1996, when I enjoyed my very first bed & breakfast (and other stuff) in the quiet shore town of Spring Lake, NJ.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have travelled alone  but never stayed alone the whole vacation.When my first husband and I were travelling all over the world for his job I travelled by myself to come home and see my parents several times. i never minded travelling alone - it was rather peaceful to have a day or two to do whatever my own way - no husbands or kids demands or opinions.

Honored Contributor

All the time! You can do what you want when you want and where you want to do it.  I go to NYC  all the time by myself, I've done Disney and Universal  all by myself, as well as more sedate trips like eastern Iowa which I just love. This weekend I'm at a convention all by myself.  I sound like the song but for me I really don't have a choice with no spouse or kids.  I've  gone with family members from time to time but I prefer my own schedule and itinerary.  Don't ever be afraid to go it alone.  Be safe, be smart and enjoy!

Respected Contributor

I did travel alone once although stayed with people that I knew upon arrival but not in every city.  I would never do it again.  There's nothing like sharing a beautiful trip with a friend or loved one.  There are tour groups for singles and I think the OP should investigate that.  

Respected Contributor

I have traveled alone many times.  Cruising and tours are good ways to travel alone, but  still have people around to talk with occasionally.  Living near the Disney parks, I am frequently there alone since no one I know wants to go as much as I do.  My advice is to travel light, plan to be near people if not right with them, and keep it short so 'aloneness' doesn't take hold.

Honored Contributor

For me, I would not see any reason to even think of that.

Respected Contributor

LOL, my idea of a vacation is going to see my siblings.   I have a lot and not enough time/money to see them often.  In the summer I want to be home in my yard so it's early spring or late fall.   

My husband is gone a lot so being alone and going out to eat alone is no big deal, but I like company on destination vacations so I probably would never do one alone.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*