Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Vacationed Alone?

[ Edited ]

I often vacation alone and like setting my own plan of the day early each morning.  I dislike scripted experiences (which is why I didn't really take to cruises, the one time I tried).  Lots of people prefer to set up an itinerary and "see everything," which I don't like.  When solo, I can take as much time as I need, whether it is admiring a garden or hiking up a hill.

There is a big advantage to taking a trip with family or friends, though: dining is more fun with company.

It's a trade-off, as I am happy with having a nice lunch somewhere and then bringing cheese and fruit, or something else that is simple, home to my hotel for dinner. 

In foreign countries I like to use local transit, get to know the culture, shop, and see cultural sites, not things all my friends are happy to do.  Sometimes I paint outdoors, or take a lot of pictures.  So I enjoy travelling with others but many of my happiest travel memories are of places I toured on my own.  Japan by myself:  wonderful!  I've done it three times.  Especially the first time, I would have loved to have a companion, but couldn't interest any of my friends.  I had a blast!

I travel a lot on business, so travel itself isn't an unfamiliar set of challenges.  It's a _lot_ more fun doing exactly what I want, though.   

Respected Contributor

Several years ago, I went to Prince Edward Island by myself: it was the best trip of my life! I'd really studied the guide book ahead of time, and had organized index cards for all the places I wanted to see. I love the author L.M. Montgomery, who wrote the Anne of Green Gables books. I saw every place that had anything to do with her, and bought around 40 books (all of which I actually did read).

I stayed at a bed & breakfast on the St. Lawrence Seaway; enjoyed a musical version of "Anne of Green Gables," and thoroughly loved driving along the curved, well-marked roads (I, who have little sense of direction, never got lost). It was also fun seeing McDonald's restaurants featuring lobster sandwiches.

A few years later, I went as a single person with a tour group that visited England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales. It was perfect for me!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone for your positive experiences -- I'm going!!

Honored Contributor

I started traveling on my own for business. I got more comfortable and then dined alone as opposed to room service. From there I stayed an extra day or to enjoy the city.

One of my best vacations was traveling to Europe on my own. I had a friend who was working in London for a year. She met me for the weekend in whichever country I happened to be in. For 3 glorious weeks, I saw these cities for the first time. I saw some things twice because I loved it and had no one to answer to.

London, Paris, Brugges, Amsterdam. I made sure I always booked a room near public transportation in what I hoped was a safe neighborhood.

Go with an open mind and enjoy. Since then I travel solo but it wasn't quite as adventurous as the European trip. That was before smart phones too.

Safe and happy travels.
Trusted Contributor

I positively LOVED to travel alone (now I am burned out on all forms of travel). I had the best times alone – whether for a weekend, a cruise or an entire summer – and I travelled all over the world for years alone. It frees you to meet more new people and as a result get to know each place you visit better, Whether you meet locals or other travelers, everyone is so open and helpful to a person alone. There are tradeoffs – benefits gained and benefits lost. On the down side you have no one to relive the memories with when you get home – sure, people will listen to your stories, but no one who shared those moments with you. On the up side, you will meet so many more wonderful people because you are alone. When people travel together they tend to talk to each other and sick together (reaching out to strangers only when they need something), do things together, and often frustrate each other because compromise is necessary. When you are alone, you can do anything you want, go where you want, stay as long as you want, change your plans spontaneously and talk to tons of people you would never have even noticed if you were with someone else.

It also gives you time to be introspective, and that can be a wonderful thing. When the everyday pressures of the world are eliminated for a short time and you are alone with your own thoughts – whether on a plane, or a beach, or a restaurant, you can often see and think more clearly. I always returned home a better and happier person for the time spent alone. It was like I had been recharged. And whenever I traveled – alone or with others – no matter how wonderful it was, I was always happy to get back to my own little home, life and family.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

The great thing about traveling alone is you make all your own decisions. Where to stay, when to eat, when to head back to your room. No negotiations with everyone else!

I've done a spa weekend by myself. Heavenly! Also enjoy Mackinac Island here in the shoulder season. Plan on going before everything shuts down in Oct.

I stay in a good hotel with good security features. With wi-fi, an iPad and cell phone you're still connected. Get a massage, facial and take a glass of wine out to the beach and park on chaise lounges that face The Straits on a chilly nite. My slice of heaven!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I vacation at least twice a year alone.  I travel out of the country with my business, and LOVE it.  Guess I have Travelin' Feet!

Never think of it as being alone, just as time to explore, think, and un-wind.  I'm good at directions, can amuse myself, and like to drive, even on the right. ; O )

I really don't like to spend much of my limited free (non-working) time in a venue or situation that holds no interest for me, and some people just can't split up once in a while and do their own thing.  For instance, spending most of a day touring a beer factory,  Just NOT me.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@nycgrl wrote:

I have not taken a vacation alone, but I plan to next year.  I am in the same boat as you.  However, I did up and move to another state on my own and have made a life for myself such as it is.  I never found the connections I had before I moved.  Unfortunately, that life is gone now and I must move forward.  I plan to go to a spa in Arizona and take a trip to Alaska next summer solo.  I also want to go on a safari and have no intention of letting the fact that I do not have a traveling companion stop me from doing what I want and having a good time.  I am my own best company.  I will meet people en route and also at my destinations.  One never knows what can happen or who you could meet.  The possibilities are endless - GO FOR IT!

Good for you!  I often travel alone but my husband did go on Safari with me 2 years ago. There were three ladies in my group who were alone....enjoy your safari, it is fabulous! 

Honored Contributor

I have a couple of times and it was great!  I'm not at all needy or clingy, so I do enjoy some time alone.

One of them was a dive vacation, at a dive resort.   Since I was an experienced diver, even the divemasters let me dive alone.  I loved it!  Every time we would arrive at a dive site and everybody jumped off the boat, whichever way everybody else went I went the opposite way.  It was very peaceful and kind of freeing not having to worry about another, usually less experienced, diver.

Another one was just a car trip to a location only 6 hours away - a place that I love - and I enjoyed it very much. 

Esteemed Contributor

I vacation alone often.  I travel with my husband but love the Caribbean and the sun and he does not.  I like to sit and read, swim, watch the waves and have a quiet meal by the sea in the evening.    When I worked, I just needed to get away from people, stress and thinking.  Now I am retired but still enjoy time alone.   I often meet people but don't care if I do or not....I enjoy solitude.  My escape place is Anguilla, fabulous lovely people and a safe place.