Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Taken A Look at Your 401(k) Recently?

@Carmie wrote:

I lost over $200,000 from my 401k right before I retired.  And  a few years before  that, I lost about half of that.  Easy come, easy go.

Just on paper, huh?  That was expensive paper.

All you can do is hope you can recover your money before you are ready to retire.

Trust me.  It hurts.

Mine is down considerably and I knew not to look...my curiosity made me look.  I'm not that far away from retirement so it could take many years to rebound.  I am well diversified but with what has happened to our economy, it would be impossible for one not to lose if they were at all in the stock market.  If one is young, they have the years to build it back so I agree with you...it is expensive paper if you are close to retirement.

I'm hoping I get some of it back in the next year or two.  It's been bouncing back and forth as I've looked several times.  I'm so glad I did not have it in a lot of individual stocks.  My energy stock in Vanguard has tanked as oil is so low. That was a fantastic investment 10 years ago.   

Best wishes to everyone !

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

Yes just relax let it go a few yrs from now it will go back. When we get back things will move fast. 

Respected Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Yes it's really bad, I took a huge loss. My pension is gone so the 401k is all I have...I'm not sure what to do. 

Oh, my, that's awful for you.  Do you have ss insurance?  Mine is still coming but that may go too?

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I lost over $200,000 from my 401k right before I retired.  And  a few years before  that, I lost about half of that.  Easy come, easy go.

All you can do is hope you can recover your money before you are ready to retire.

Trust me.  It hurts.

True.  I think it's not just this virus problem.  We are floating on artificial liquidity and when that collapses, we go too....

Respected Contributor

How old are you?  Are you anywhere near the "RMD" phase?  If you're a young to middle-aged worker, you have time to make up the loss and move forward from there.

Respected Contributor

Nope, I didn’t even open the statement. I’m. Not going to need that money in the next 25 years. It’ll be fine.
Respected Contributor

We lost 24% of our grandson's college fund from end of Dec to end of March.  We closed it and put it in a 5 year CD.  He'll graduate high school in 5 years - we were afraid we didn't have time to recover the loss and likely would not have.

And by the way - it's easy to say "it's only on paper" but actually it's your money.  You had it - now it's gone.

I lost 17K from my IRA in '08 - took it out and put it in money market.

No more stock maket for me.  

Honored Contributor

I not looking at my 401(k) now.   I changed to more stable investments when I retired but know those tanked too.  I don't plan to touch it until I'm 70.5 so that gives me a few years to hopefully recover at least some of it.  

Regular Contributor

Another ray of sunshine post.  You people need to get a hobby and stop with all the negativity.  JMHO

Trusted Contributor

@77yangya wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Trust me.  It hurts.

True.  I think it's not just this virus problem.  We are floating on artificial liquidity and when that collapses, we go too....

That's why I'm pained but not surprised.  They were false, inflated numbers to begin with and I was waiting for the shoe to drop anyway.  I switched my 401k model to conservative when it began to slide and will remain there while we (hopefully) ride this out.