Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Taken A Look at Your 401(k) Recently?

Best advice I got during the last big recession was just don't open the statements when they come, because you haven't lost anything until you have to sell. And if you don't have to sell any securities anytime soon then you're fine.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624I know lots of people believe it's only paper, but I gotta tell you -   if my financial advisor ever said that, I'd be looking for a new advisor immediately.

Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

I am afraid to look. I wasn't in a real risky fund but I'm sure I lost thousands. 

Honored Contributor

It's still better than a bank account (or your mattress)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

No!

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

Yes, yes I did - I looked at my pathetic and paltry 401k and a part of me died along with it....A LOT - a dang lot - gone, poof, disappeared.

I had a mock funeral for it, just to make myself laugh...but much like a real funeral - all I did was CRY!

Honored Contributor

I lost over $200,000 from my 401k right before I retired.  And  a few years before  that, I lost about half of that.  Easy come, easy go.

Just on paper, huh?  That was expensive paper.

All you can do is hope you can recover your money before you are ready to retire.

Trust me.  It hurts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I got out of the stock market about two years ago.  I had a feeling something disasterous was going to happen.  There were too many stupid things being done.

Shoekitty

It wasn't just the stocks that crashed  many market dividends dived. ,  t bills went down, as well as bonds.  I don't have my money in stocks, but I lost enough to buy a luxury car.  I had some money in Lord Abbot which is a slow growth fund.  Hadn't lost 

A cent in 150 years  It did last month.  Also those who save might as well keep money in a mattress.  We had income from interest we ladded monthly income.  Good thing we had a stash because we won't be seeing that interest in years.  Many of us are too old to catch up.

Stocks are back up for a bit, but they will go down again in a few months.

Respected Contributor

DD called Mom my 401 is bad lost money I said well our stocks went down so bad too but Dad is buying more. If we die right now you get not much. She is only child, said well house is paid off you can live here & all contents you get. Reply Mom social distance can't even have garage sale. LOL we laughed so much said well now you got to live with all my ******. LOL

Respected Contributor

Mine was rolled over to an IRA when I retired and it's down. Hope it bounces back soon. Don't have as much time to recoup as younger folks.