Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Seen the Next Gen Ken?

Am I the only one that thinks the first one on the left looks like a certain ex office holder? 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Oh goodness now that I have read through the entire thread thanks for the grins and giggles my friends!  To be honest, I was never a doll person growing up (I was usually off reading whatever I could get my hands on).  I am older and never had children so I don't have much hands on reference to what is going on these days but I do remember that Ken was a big no back in the day in my household so if these new versions work for today they work for me too . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

My kids are all grown now and YES, my girls loved their Barbies. . I'm past granddaughters and into greats. There is no way I would buy any of the new Kens for my great granddaughter. I'd be really upset if she came home with any one of those pictured. IMHO,  Ken is now a bad choice for any young girl. 

@Perkup, "really upset"? "bad choice for any young girl"?

Seems that you take this much too seriously. If I had a great granddaugher (hope to some day) and she came home with one of these dolls, I would watch her play and smile. Unless she asked my any questions, I would not make any comment at all.

If she did ask what if I like him, I would of course that he is adorable, just like any other doll. Good lesson in life about people who may be different from us and how to deal with those differences

You would choose to get all upset, which would teach your little one a very different lesson. And so it continues down the generations. 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What's wrong with Ken with the black glasses?  He's probably made a couple of million by now, has a skateboard at home, a home he paid cash for, drives a Tesla, and has a lot of friends he likes to eat out at restaurants with. He's busy working on technological advances and making 3D prosthetics for poor children at no cost to them.

There are plenty of Kens just like that around San Francisco.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

All I can say is I'm glad I had the real thing when I was young. That goes for a lot more than dolls.

@noodleann  LOL

I had the original Ken doll and he really wasn't the "real" thing because there was no "real" thing to be had.  Woman Embarassed

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

My kids are all grown now and YES, my girls loved their Barbies. . I'm past granddaughters and into greats. There is no way I would buy any of the new Kens for my great granddaughter. I'd be really upset if she came home with any one of those pictured. IMHO,  Ken is now a bad choice for any young girl. 

Seems that you take this much too seriously. If I had a great granddaugher (hope to some day) and she came home with one of these dolls, I would watch her play and smile. Unless she asked my any questions, I would not make any comment at all.

If she did ask what if I like him, I would of course that he is adorable, just like any other doll. Good lesson in life about people who may be different from us and how to deal with those differences

You would choose to get all upset, which would teach your little one a very different lesson. And so it continues down the generations. 

Who told you that I said I was upset?  Apparently you tend to try ro read between the lines when there's nothing written there. I said, and meant that when she is older and comes home with a young man with these "looks", I would be upset. We won't be spending our mooney on these dolls, so they don't upset me. 

I don't like the "looks"of  these dolls as they appear to my elderly eyes and I don't want to encourage my "come afters" to think that I approve of them. Sorry.  I'll take the look of a nicely dressed, classic looking young man over any of what I see pictured here. To me, there are a lot of punk looks. Thus ends my comments on this matter.

Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Am I the only one that thinks the first one on the left looks like a certain ex office holder? 

Yes.

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

Who told you that I said I was upset?  Apparently you tend to try ro read between the lines when there's nothing written there. I said, and meant that when she is older and comes home with a young man with these "looks", I would be upset. We won't be spending our mooney on these dolls, so they don't upset me. 

I don't like the "looks"of  these dolls as they appear to my elderly eyes and I don't want to encourage my "come afters" to think that I approve of them. Sorry.  I'll take the look of a nicely dressed, classic looking young man over any of what I see pictured here. To me, there are a lot of punk looks. Thus ends my comments on this matter.

@Perkup  I think @suzyQ3  was responding to your comment where you said:  "I'd be really upset if she came home with any one of those pictured."

She knew you meant dolls, that's what she said and referred to.

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono

Best. Thread. Ever!  

Thank you!

I think the Q forum should have a best "post of the month" award.  Let the community vote each and every month. (similar to ITKWD Big Spatula Award for vendors)

So many of you contribute so much fun and laughter along the way!

Honored Contributor

For me diversity makes the world go round. If I had a daughter or granddaughter I would want her to go out into the world knowing that good people come in all shapes, sizes, colors, orientations, and more. So I would want her to learn to judge those people by their character, not by their externals. Toward that goal I'd want her to play with a wide variety of dolls.

And toy trucks, toy tools, Legos, and the like.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"