Esteemed Contributor

Have You Read The ENTIRE Declaration of Independence?

[ Edited ]

Most are familiar with the opening of the Declaration but how many have taken the time to read it in its entirety?  It is lengthy but worth the time to read from opening to closing.

Removed link which contained option to purchase from another retailer

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Read The ENTIRE Declaration of Independence?

Yes, I taught it.

Esteemed Contributor

Seen it and read it with my family. Much more thrilling. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Yes, it was required in high school & we were tested too. In grade school we had to read speeches given by Presidents, pick a favorite part to memorize & do a class presentation. I picked Lincoln's Gettysburg Address & after all these years I still know every word. I was a C-D student & didn't care, I know it sounds silly but Lincoln's speech sparked an interest in wanting to learn & always doing my best.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Yes, it was required in high school & we were tested too. In grade school we had to read speeches given by Presidents, pick a favorite part to memorize & do a class presentation. I picked Lincoln's Gettysburg Address & after all these years I still know every word. I was a C-D student & didn't care, I know it sounds silly but Lincoln's speech sparked an interest in wanting to learn & always doing my best.

A presidential speech can inspire citizenship and civility:  "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" - President John F. Kennedy.

Honored Contributor

Yes and have read the Constitution and amendments.   I also kept a copy of both on my desk when I worked.

Honored Contributor

At 7 pm this evening CSPAN3 will air a program with historians discussing "the definition of equality and the Declaration of Independence."  This channel often reairs programs at a later date.

Respected Contributor

It was required in the 8th grade that we read the Constitution.  We read it again in high school.  My 8th grade history teacher had us memorize the preamble to the Constitution.  He had a chair by his desk.  One by one each student sat in that chair, facing him back to the class and recite the preamble.  If we missed one word, he deducted points.  I can still recite it.  To.  This.  Day.