Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Or Would You Date A Younger Man

My mother-in-law was almost 10 years older than my father-in-law, and she was absolutely mortified by it. 

I'm several months older than DH, and both of my DILs are older than my sons, each by several months.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:
@chickenbutt wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I have never dated someone younger than me I would be open to it but I wouldn't date someone more than 5 years younger. I also have to say men shouldn't date a woman too much younger than themselves either.  I want to have someone who can relate to the same things I do. You don't want someone to say to you my mom and grandmother like him too!

Your having mentioned that (bolded by me) reminded me of an ex from many years ago.  He was only six year younger than I, but one day I mentioned Janis Joplin and he had absolutely no idea who she was - NONE.   He had never heard of her or anybody else from that era.  It was just a weird little thing and certainly didn't define anything for us but it was kind of strange for me, initially.  Smiley Happy

lame.jpg (500×311)

Um, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to take that!  Smiley Surprised

@chickenbutt

Just that the DUDE and his Janis Joplin ignorance was, um, pretty lame-o. Smiley Wink

No wonder it was kinda weird and strange for you in the beginning!

Honored Contributor

Hey FG!  Well, you've never insulted me so I didn't take it for that but I couldn't figure out what you meant.  Sorry about that.  I'm getting kind of dumb these days and sometimes my brain just doesn't compute something.  Smiley Happy

Contributor

I was single and married to my profession until I met my future husband who is 17 years younger than me. We have been together for 18 years, married for almost 16 of those years. We have compatible interests and I am so grateful that I didn't give in to my puritanical notions about age appropriateness, which notions I had in abundance at the time. 

Honored Contributor

I only dated men older than me.  My DH is 5 years older. If your SO is much younger or older than you might not have enough similar life experiences and perspectives to draw upon for common ground. I know people can make it work, but I think it can be more difficult. I have a friend whose DH is 20 years younger. She and her DH have issues that are related to ther age differences, but they are still together.

Super Contributor

I would and I have and I married him!

Honored Contributor

Definitely. Chemistry is chemistry... But I also don't look at every date or everyone I date as a potential long-term relationship.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I do - I am not attracted to men my own age.  My ex-husband was 7-years older than it was.  I also had a long term relationship with a man 12-years older - that cured me.  

There are two sides to this though.  I have a friend whose husband is 14 years younger than she is and I also have a friend who is a "trophy wife" of an older very wealthy man.  I think you usually pay a price for either extreme.  

Esteemed Contributor

Sure, as long as my husband approved Woman Wink

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

My two sisters are both married to men who are 8 years younger than therm. My DH is 5 years my junior.