Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have You Or Would You Date A Younger Man

Sure I would.  My mother was older than my father and one of my sisters is 15 years older than her husband.  I have another sister who is 12 years younger than her husband.

Honored Contributor

no, yes

Contributor

It seems wtth the exception of when I was a teenager, I have dated men younger, not by intention but because i was attractive to this person and they just happen to be a few years younger than me. I am currently dating someone who is 12 years younger, he is 51 and I am 63 and we get along great. I sometimes think about the age difference but he doesn't. I prefer men who are active, articulate and intelligent and if he is older with those qualities and more I am ok with dating him. I don't believe in the saying, "age is just a number." I won't date anyone younger than my oldest daughter who will be 46 or my youngest daughter who will be 42. Age is not just a number to me. No rocking cradles for me....!!  My ego is intact!

Trusted Contributor

Sorry, but if Captain Jack pulled up in front of my house with the Black Pearl, I would go.

Yep.

Honored Contributor

It's about the person not their age. 

Valued Contributor

Once I hit my late 20's/early 30's, it did not matter too much. I always had in my mind, I would never date anyone more than 10 years younger. When I was young, I usually dated older. I met my significant other when I was 37 and he was 23. At that time, I was perfectly content being single. Yes, we' ve had our challenges and there have been problems but he is the best person for me. We've been together for almost 5 years. 

Respected Contributor

I have seriously dated a younger man; I have also (probably not too seriously) dated a man twice my age when I was 22.  (I wasn't too serious about anything except school at 22.) 

Romance is about people, not about how many "tree rings" they have accumulated in life--jmo. 

I've always gotten along better with younger and older people than with my boomer peer-group.  Not to say I don't get along  with them, but I've always really liked that voice from another generation, too. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not to go OT, but I have to share this dating story ....

Some years ago I met a man who lived in Santa Barbara but kept a condo and car in my building for when he was in Los Angeles.    We had GREAT chemistry, although he seemed quite a bit older.   We'd run into each other in the mail room and would spontaneously go out to dinner.  I really liked him, but wasn't looking for a husband.   He finally leveled with me .... he was looking for a wife and thought we'd make a great couple.  He wanted to start dating seriously with hopes of marriage.    As it turned out, at that time he was 73 and I was 38!!!   Yes, he was 35 years older!   

I'm really not all that hung up on a person's age, but 35 years seemed ... a bit much.   Well, I said no thank you but hope we can still be friends.   A while later, he started dating a woman he married the following year ..... she was 28 years old!  (She had her own money, so it wasn't the sugar daddy thing.)   People that knew them as a couple said they really were in love.   No question, he's  a great guy ... and they are still happily married.

I guess it really doesn't matter if the man is older, younger, or the same age.   As the posts on this thread will show, some disagree with me.   IMO,  It really depends on the individuals and how they relate.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I have dated a younger man and married him.  He is the kindest man I know.  We just celebrated our 40th anniversary this past December.

Honored Contributor

feline groovy wrote:
@chickenbutt wrote:

Jordan2 wrote:

I have never dated someone younger than me I would be open to it but I wouldn't date someone more than 5 years younger. I also have to say men shouldn't date a woman too much younger than themselves either.  I want to have someone who can relate to the same things I do. You don't want someone to say to you my mom and grandmother like him too!

Your having mentioned that (bolded by me) reminded me of an ex from many years ago.  He was only six year younger than I, but one day I mentioned Janis Joplin and he had absolutely no idea who she was - NONE.   He had never heard of her or anybody else from that era.  It was just a weird little thing and certainly didn't define anything for us but it was kind of strange for me, initially.  Smiley Happy

lame.jpg (500×311)

Um, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to take that!  Smiley Surprised