Honored Contributor

Have You Or Would You Date A Younger Man

I have never dated someone younger than me I would be open to it but I wouldn't date someone more than 5 years younger. I also have to say men shouldn't date a woman too much younger than themselves either.  I want to have someone who can relate to the same things I do. You don't want someone to say to you my mom and grandmother like him too!

Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Or Would You Date A Younger Man

I've been married for 36 years & my husband is only 6 months older than me, so I don't know what I would do. My sister's man friend is 14 years younger than her & they get along great & I never think about them being different ages. They have been dating for alomost 5 years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jordan2 wrote:

I have never dated someone younger than me I would be open to it but I wouldn't date someone more than 5 years younger. I also have to say men shouldn't date a woman too much younger than themselves either.  I want to have someone who can relate to the same things I do. You don't want someone to say to you my mom and grandmother like him too!

Your having mentioned that (bolded by me) reminded me of an ex from many years ago.  He was only six year younger than I, but one day I mentioned Janis Joplin and he had absolutely no idea who she was - NONE.   He had never heard of her or anybody else from that era.  It was just a weird little thing and certainly didn't define anything for us but it was kind of strange for me, initially.  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

My husband is 4 years younger than me.

Respected Contributor

Even though I'm a little old lady, I don't like little old men!  run!.gif

Honored Contributor

Yes I have and I married him. Been together about 35 years and married for 10. He is 9 years younger than I am.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was married to a man 8 years my junior. It was great at first, but as the years went on I realized his emotional development would not catch up. This caused problems at various stages and I eventually divorced him.

I decided that I would look for a man my age or a few years older next time around. I realize that maturity isn't based on age, but there should be a common bridge somewhere to better ensure compatability. 

I wouldn't rule younger men out, and I am attracted to them, but at this stage of my life I'm being very careful regardless of ANY age!

Honored Contributor

I know a few who married (years ago) men 5+ years younger.  And they're still married, although those men happened to be very ambitious, and very settled (ready for marriage) when they married.  They were at the point in their lives where other men were/are at about 30 or 40+.  So, all in all, it all depends on how mature they are, thought-wise.  Same with women, btw.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Since I moved to the upper Midwest 30 years ago, I have only dated younger men. Not my plan, it just worked out that way. In order: 9 years, 6 years, 10 years, and then my late DH was 8 years younger. I always enjoyed the attitudes of these younger men, dynamic and fresh. Tend to be more athletic. I never regretted any of them being younger. When we got married, DH and I joked that we would probably die on the same day. He made it to 50, that was eight years ago.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

I never dated someone younger.  But I was so young when I got married that I doubt anyone would have qualified to be someone I would date. 

It is said that women look for stability and men look for looks.  Told this.  Perhaps this is one reason why the guy is older and the gal is younger.  In my case much younger.  

In any case it worked out for us.  June.... 50 years.  Yipee the kids are throwing a party!