Valued Contributor

Have You Heard of the Job Corps Civililan Conservation Centers run by the Forest Service?

This is a great program that has been around for decades.  The Forest Service program trains low-income and rural students in firefighting and other jobs.  The participants are often some of the first to respond during natural diasters.  They help communities during wild fires and hurricanes.  They learn skills that allow them to succeed in whatever they set their minds to. 

The Trump administration has proposed closing nine Job Corps Civilian Conservation Centers (CCCs).  The Department of Agriculture's Forest Service will no longer operate CCCs.  The 16 CCCs not expected to close will be operated by a contractor. The closure could result in over 1,000 people losing their jobs.

I've had the opportunity to see some of the job work done the people who run the program and the students.  It breaks my heart that something so wonderful is being dismantled to allow a contractor to get rich.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Heard of the Job Corps Civililan Conservation Centers run by the Forest Service?

There are a number of Job Corps centers run by other government agencies as well as the Forest Service.  My previous employment involved staffing for Reclamation.  They have a few Job Corp centers and train in various trades.  They turned out chefs, welders, masons, carpenters, and office workers.  These people also had to complete their high school education while training for the career they selected.  It's a wonderful program with a high success rate.

Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Heard of the Job Corps Civililan Conservation Centers run by the Forest Service?

I supervised a large unit of people who recruited for the Job Corps Centers and placed returnees in jobs, in a major metro area.  It's a highly successful program, giving drop-outs the opportunity to finish high school while learning a trade.  It's one of the last programs the feds should consider cutting.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Job-Corps

Article states that three fourths of the Job Corp Centers are already operated by private companies.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo.  They always have been.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@liliblu  I have never heard of this program, but it does not sound like it should be cut.  I taught in both an inner-city and rural schools and this program would be wonderful for those students.  I wonder why guidance counselors in both of those schools did not bring the program to the attention of staff and students.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@liliblu  I have never heard of this program, but it does not sound like it should be cut.  I taught in both an inner-city and rural schools and this program would be wonderful for those students.  I wonder why guidance counselors in both of those schools did not bring the program to the attention of staff and students.

Most schools do not mention the program.  The are two Job Corps programs.  One is run by the Dept. of Labor.  One by the U.S. Forest Service.  
Respected Contributor

Anything worth anything is being dismantled. The damage will take years to repair.
Esteemed Contributor

This makes me sad because these programs help many, many youth and young adults.

Trusted Contributor

$1.7 Billion Federal Job Training Program Is ‘Failing the Students’

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/26/us/politics/job-corps-training-program.html