Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Written An Autobiography and/or Memoirs

I have several written versions of a life from a family member.  She wrote many an even thought they might be a book.  

If you read them, they are all her life as she wanted it to be and has imagined it to be.  It's factual, but not truthful. 

I have no illusions that anyone would be interested in what I have done in my life or in me.  

Respected Contributor

@Winkk 

Before I left a major corporation in the 80's and decided it was time for a career change, I used a career search firm for a more objective perspective.

One of the first self-analysis projects I was given was to write down examples of when I felt a sense of achievement....from the earliest remembered occurrence.  Well, that was exactly what I did and it took about 30 typed pages because I set each episode in context.

Result: rather than go back into corporate environment, I started my own training and seminar entrepreneurial business.  Added to the mix: adjunct professor on leadership and communication.

Many years later during a lengthy battle with bronchitis (70), I wrote a document for submission to my college's life honor society demonstrating how I had lived my life incorporating the 3 virtues on the college seal.  

To create this material, I separated all the commendations and other scraps of memorabilia by virtue and sat down at the computer keyboard.  It became a small binder with dedication page and attachments.....how much more corporate could I get, lol !  It was accepted and I was inducted.

Last year, before COVID-19 presented itself, I was visiting my cousin in assisted living who had Parkinson's, spinal curvature and was bedridden.  She was 6-months older than I and wanted to hear about all the things I had done.  Next visit as promised, I read her that aforementioned binder....took about 15 minutes.  When I was done, all she could say was that the family had no idea of what a gem they had in me.    I say that not to brag but to to tell you how overwhelmed I was with her response....I who am never at a loss for words !!!   It was almost our last conversation before she passed from the virus.

I echo your comment about how folks would never know what you had / accomplished early on.  Now it may help whoever is tasked with my obituary.....that is, if I don't get around to writing it myself.  I have had to write several for family members as well as deliver a eulogy for my dearest aunt / friend.

The writing will stir up many forgotten memories and feelings.  You will get a sense of accomplishment and even peace as you put the words on screen or paper.  It matters not if someone ever reads them.  Perhaps you will see patterns in actions and that can help you understand how you became what you are today......and where you want to go !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Once in high school ... our senior term paper for English class was an autobiography written from the point of view that we were an inanimate object. 

I was a brown oxford shoe.

------------------------------------------------------

Years ago, I started writing a family history.   I lost the computer file and I"m sitting here for several years with the hard copy - thinking about retyping and continuing.  

Honored Contributor

Only for me to reminisce reading my memories and to eventually pass down to my daughter.

Many details of my pregnancy, her personality as an infant, even the funny way she said certain things

For example a banana was a 'BA-na-na and spaghetti was 'BA-sketti', but there were more and all so darn cute!

I think she's the only one who would appreciate reading it.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Lord no, why get talked about, laughed at and ridiculed over again..  nope I'll keep myself in my skin and those close, close to me.  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I have, at the request of my niece, who was more anxious to hear about her father (my brother) than about me. It is lying in state on an old floppy disk.

I had researched back to my brother's and my grandparents, and spent an inordinate amount of time on our parents and upbringing.

There were a few details (dates & places) that were important, and I had left them blank until I could get the facts.

Then my niece moved away and hasn't bugged me about it. So far no one in my family has read it. And I haven't read it in a long time.

Go ahead and write it, @Winkk ! Your children & grandchildren would probably appreciate it!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Winkk 

There is a company called Stories Worth, where each week, they will email you a question that you fill out and send back. After a year, all of the stories are collected and put together in a book. You can also submit photos to go along with your stories. The program costs $99 for the year. It might be worth it for your project.

Edited to remove active link

That's a good idea @Anonymous032819. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I won't ever write an autobiography as my life has been quite painful and I chose a long time ago to put the past in the past.

My son was in a nationwide contest where he wrote a short story/essay in high school about my childhood. He won. 

Honored Contributor

I've thought of it, but I do keep my calendars, so there's that history.  Not many in the family left who might be interested.  Usually the curosity happens after a person passes and then it's too late to ask questions.  But I think it is a fabulous idea, to write things down and pass them on for generations in the family, to come.  Like this history your life has been through, so your generations after that, will know.  They'll thank you for it, even if you aren't here.  

Some won't care, but for those that do, it'll be a blessing.

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I'm not much of a diarist, so have forgotten many details of my younger years.  I have kept some material mementoes that bring back pleasant memories, but will probably mean little to nothing to anyone else.

I was thinking the same thing @deepwaterdotter - The things i remember would probably be of no interest to anyone else including my family.  I guess I have too much time on my hands.  Before the pandemic I was active at church and volunteered at a local hospital.  Now, that's all gone for who knows how long.

Bet you have enough time and material, to write a book.  Don't let the good things fall by the wayside.