Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Seen A White Squirrel?

We live in S. WI & several years ago we were in Wausau, WI in the fall at a beautiful park.  There were lots of white squirrels in that park.  They were so much fun to watch.

Trusted Contributor

Yes. My alma mater The University of North Texas has had white squirrels on campus for years. One, nicknamed "Lucky," was a campus legend. Sadly, Lucky's fortune ran out when he was hit by a car in 2016. The campus mourned, Facebook went wild, memorabilia sales skyrocketed. There was a call to ban cars from driving through campus but that didn't happen. Today campus is a congested mess and the squirrels run for their lives.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I used to see one during my morning walks in Minnesota.

Valued Contributor

https://www.wbko.com/content/news/WKUs-White-Squirrel-Phenomenon-383290081.html

There are several on the campus of Western Kentucky University, in Bowling Green, KY.

Respected Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

No. My old home town up in Canada had a large population of black ones. 

@StylishLady all I saw was black squirrels when I lived in Canada. Never saw any other colored squirrels until we moved to Texas!

Trusted Contributor

I've seen gray, red & black plenty of times - never white.  Looks so cute.

Super Contributor

Never seen a white or a black squirrel. Great pix, thanks!

Frequent Contributor

Olney , Illinois is known as the “Home of the white squirrels” with a large population all over town. I’ve seen them there all my life.
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the photos -- lovely.

To quote Carrie Bradshaw (SATC): "Whaaat??? Squirrels are just Rats with cuter outfits !!" (When she first stayed in Aidan's 'country home').  I love the Squirrels around me in the forest but they're all gray. And Chatty....

We do have White Deer here on the Mty.Penin, they're rare and protected.  If we see one it's a sign of Good Luck and Cosmic Blessings and the local news always posts a photo!

A couple days ago I saw a large male Wild Turkey in full colorful mating splendor (WOW, like a Peacock but white, gold,red, orange, a first for me) he was following his 'harem' of 4 plain females right across my backyard.  It took me a while to I.D. the bird, I video'd it but don't know how to post from my iphone. Use your imaginations.

A M A Z I N G *****

We have white bunnies, foxes, wildcats, racoons, deer running around here too.....and lavender Mourning Doves. It's like a Strange Wilderness Park.....Cat Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@turquoise blue wrote:
Olney , Illinois is known as the “Home of the white squirrels” with a large population all over town. I’ve seen them there all my life.

I had an aunt who lived in Olney, IL.  The white squirrels were well known and protected there.   It's quite a thing - google Olney, Il to learn more.