Honored Contributor

Have You Ever Seen A White Squirrel?

I saw one this morning, first time ever in my life. The true albino squirrels have the distinctive color pink/red eyes. The others are called morphs, caused by a different recessive gene. It was tough to get photos-the white ones move even faster than the grey because they are such easy prey for predators.

I have also seen a black squirrel once, about six years ago.

20190330_085036.jpg

20190330_085133.jpg

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Super Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Seen A White Squirrel?

@Greeneyedlady21 

We used to live in a tiny little town in Wisconsin. The squirrel population was pretty "enclosed" since we were isolated (i.e. lots of inbreeding!) We had two white squirrels that came around to our bird feeders. Most of them were black, followed by red and lastly grey. They red squirrels weren't the smaller different species; they were just a color within the squirrel populace.

We also had flying squirrels that would come to our feeders at night! I'm sure they were turned loose or got loose from captivity because I have never heard of them in the wild that far north. We could walk up to the feeders and they'd sit on our fingers.

I liked seeing them but I did NOT like feeding them; I'm a big bird watcher and the squirrels decimated our feeders. We had foxes in the field next to us and they would hunt the squirrels! 

These are GREAT photos! I love wildlife watching! Thanks for sharing. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

There's so much information online about white squirrels, I'm slightly obsessed now. I got so excited when I saw it, couldn't believe what I was seeing. I saw it while waiting for a train. There was a man there walking his dog and he stopped and I said to him wow look at that that's amazing.

The dog just stood there mesmerized. I wonder if the dog could tell any difference lol.

There are towns in the US that are well known for white squirrels.

Here is a good picture of an albino squirrel. And another white one that has a distinctive grey patch on the head.

albino squirrel.jpg.838x0_q80.jpgwhite1.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I have! There is a town in one of the upper Midwest states that is known for the white squirrel population. Hopefully someone here knows where it is....(guess I could look it up myself!).

Honored Contributor

I didn't know there were white squirrels.  Live and learn.  

Esteemed Contributor

WOW ..... NATURE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Honored Contributor

There was one that was living across the street from me last year.  I haven't asked the neighbor if she came back this year.  A few years ago while on a walk I also saw one in a wooded area at the end of a dead end street. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, once, a few years ago, when I was out on a Sunday morning walk.  I, like you, @Greeneyedlady21, was quite taken with him (or her!), having never seen what I just thought must be an albino squirrel.

I remember looking for him on subsequent walks, but that was my one and only sighting!

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Yes, I have! There is a town in one of the upper Midwest states that is known for the white squirrel population. Hopefully someone here knows where it is....(guess I could look it up myself!).

Olney Illinois?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The all white squirrel that is not albino is called leucistic. Odds of a squirrel being born white are about 1 in 100,000. And seeing a white squirrel is said to be good luck and a good omen. I sure hope so.