Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Had Something That Has "Fixed Itself"?

That happened to my back door one time.  I couldn't close it or lock it one night.  The next morning I called a handyman who came that day.  He sanded it from the top and moved the place where the dead bolt goes just a little bit and fixed it.  I couldn't have spent another night in the house without the door locked.  I live in a safe neighborhood, but it scared me.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

That happened to my back door one time.  I couldn't close it or lock it one night.  The next morning I called a handyman who came that day.  He sanded it from the top and moved the place where the dead bolt goes just a little bit and fixed it.  I couldn't have spent another night in the house without the door locked.  I live in a safe neighborhood, but it scared me.

@NickNack   Well, your door didn't fix itself like mine did!  But yes, I'd have had someone out ASAP if I didn't have that front storm/screen door to lock up.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few years ago, my neighbor told me her refrigerator stopped working and she called a repair guy. It was due to all that dust that accumulated under the fridge. I learned from QVC a long time ago - to clean out the dust under the washer/dryer, refrigerator/stove. They were pitching a long, narrow brush - which I purchased. I also saw them at Lowes.

A few weeks ago, the freezer in my 24-year old Whirlpool stopped working. The refrigerator part was fine. So - I went to Lowes and purchased another 20.5 cu ft. Whirlpool - which I love. The salesman told me they make them cheaper now - so it should last 8 years.

A few months ago, the door to my downstairs bathroom wouldn't close properly - so I called my handyman, who had to lower the metal piece in the door jamb. I live in southern Calif. - and my house is only 18 yrs. old - so they're not weather related.

When something breaks or needs replacing --- I get it done in a New York Minute!!!

Pearley - I enjoyed ur post.

Esteemed Contributor

We just had our refrigerator/freezer repaired as the draining tube was not draining properly and causing water to puddle at the bottom of the freezer (the fridge is on the top and the freezer is on the bottom). Now the freezer works better and the fridge is not as noisy. We did vacuum the back coils after pulling out the fridge from the wall and also vacuumed underneath the fridge and used a cleaning brush used to pull lint out of dryer vents to get at all of the dust bunnies under the fridge. You would be surprised at how much dirt and pet fur gets accumulated under there and behind the fridge.

Esteemed Contributor

Our ice maker is very fickle. 

It stops working until DH brings home a bag of ice (the "competition") then it starts working again.

(and it also makes ice sculptures & shoots the cubes to the other side of the freezer, LOL)

maybe it's possessed.

Honored Contributor

NO........and the "things" that broke down (plumbing, roof, heat pump) have cost me 4  figures EACH to replace.   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@MaryBailey 

I have the same "brand" you do!  My freezer stops making ice cubes, and then I buy a bag at the store and it starts making them again.  Then I let the cubes get low and it stops again, I buy, it makes them, repeat...repeat....repeat.  Sure wish I knew why!  So frustrating!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

@ Pearly could be that the fridge was iced up at the drain in the freezer and it melted.

Also, sometimes doors stick or swell with temperature changes and also if the house settles.

My coffee maker wasn’t working several years ago and I purchased a new one. The next morning the old one worked so the new one is somewhere in the garage as a spare!

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee  next time try using s wax candle or a bar of soap on the edge of the door. It swelled up due to moisture and cold

The fridge sounds to me like it has a short in it. I would be careful and keep close watch, you don't want an electrical fire

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Pearlee  next time try using s wax candle or a bar of soap on the edge of the door. It swelled up due to moisture and cold

The fridge sounds to me like it has a short in it. I would be careful and keep close watch, you don't want an electrical fire

@cherry   If that was the case, I don't think it would have "fixed itself" and been working fine ever since the cold weather started months ago.  As I say, I expected it to "go bad" when the weather got hot again but it hasn't.   You are right though; shorts can be dangerous. I just don't think that's the case here.