Honored Contributor

Have You Ever Had Something That Has "Fixed Itself"?

I have had two things in my house "fix themselves" which was quite miraculous.  When I purchased my house, almost 40 yrs. ago, I was told by many people that when something breaks/goes wrong to fix it right away because it only gets worse.  I have  found that to be generally true, which is why the two problems in my house that have "fixed themselves" are so amazing!

At the end of last summer, my refrigerator started "going on the fritz" as my father used to say.  That is, not working well.  First it was the freezer that stopped freezing things, but the refrigerator part was OK.  Then I noticed that, while my milk was fine for a couple of days, it would spoil by the third day.  OY!  I need milk in my morning coffee.  So I started looking around for refrigerators because I knew mine was "going" (meanwhile, I bought milk every couple of days and also kept those little creamers you get at McD. or restaurants that don't need refrigeration, and I used those when the milk went bad).  At that time, I didn't keep much else in the 'fridge except fresh vegetables that I ate up every couple of days.  (This wasn't a huge problem because I eat out a lot).   Anyway, when the weather started cooling down in fall, the 'fridge started working better.  I didn't have any problem with it all winter and, although it's been in the mid-80s here, it still seems to be keeping things fine.  I'm able to use a half gallon of milk all the way to its end (for about a week) and it doesn't spoil.  Sadly, the freezer doesn't work so the "self-cure" only applies to the refrigerator part. 

I still don't know how it went from not cooling things right to cooling them right, but I'm not going to question it.  I'm OK with the freezer not working because it keeps me from buying ice cream, which I eat too much of.

The second thing in my house that "fixed itself" was my front door not closing!  During the coldest winter days, my front door, which is wooden with stained glass in it, wouldn't close all the way.  This was sooooo not good because I didn't use my security system (I could have bypassed the front door and set it but I didn't) and of course I didn't want my front door not closing!  Fortunately, it closed enough for it to look closed (but not enough to actually close to lock it, and also fortunately I have a sturdy screen door/ storm door that locks so of course I locked that.   I did olil all the door hinges but that didn't help.  I think it just warped somewhat in the frigid weather, because when the weather started getting warmer again in spring, I was able to close it just fine.  And it remains fine now.   So YAY, the door "fixed itself."

Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Had Something That Has "Fixed Itself"?

We have a satellite dish for TV service, the other night the signal went out and no matter what we checked or did the signal would not come back. The technician was due to come check it out the next day and when I turned the TV on that morning the signal was up and we had TV. My husband called the satellite service immediately and cancelled the technician which saved us a 95 dollar service call.

Honored Contributor

Is this your main refrigerator, that doesn't have a working freezer?

Honored Contributor

My front door swells when we get a lot of rain and doesn’t want to close. When the weather dries out, so does the door and it closes fine. You might have a similar situation.
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee    No, can not think of anything . Most everything that breaks needs replacing or repair.

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
My front door swells when we get a lot of rain and doesn’t want to close. When the weather dries out, so does the door and it closes fine. You might have a similar situation.

@bikerbabe    I think that's what's behind my door issue too but it had to do with the cold weather.  In the near-40-yrs. I've lived in the house it hadn't ever happened before until this past winter.  And now it's fine (all by itself)!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Pearlee    No, can not think of anything . Most everything that breaks needs replacing or repair.

@SeaMaiden  Well that is certainly the general rule, which is why these things are so surprising.

Esteemed Contributor

Doors made of wood & metal are greatly affected by humidity - cold temps and hot.  Wood and metal ......expand and contract ......during various conditions.  Door that "that fixed itself" may cause you problems again in the future.  It's not earth shaking but annoying.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes.  A microwave.  One day it was dead.  Not the circuit breaker or the child's lock.  In the meantime, used a counter top stored in the basement until I got to the store.

I kept trying to use it instead of the counter top...you know forgetting it was broken only to find over and over it didn't work.  Takes a long time to break a habit.  I call it "being on automatic pilot."  HA!

Then, one morning about 2 weeks later walked into the kitchen, saw "reset clock" on the digital readout. Tried the microwave and it worked.  Has been working for over 2 years.  

A suggestion for your refrigerator, a lot of dust on the coils can cause it to not cool sufficiently.  Good to clean them a few times a year.

Was your weather that fall and winter rainy?  Thinking the door may have swelled and didn't dry out thoroughly.  Then dried when the weather got warmer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee   Yes, it was rainy most of fall but I think the not-closing started when the temps got their most frigid, in February - around zero degrees (too cold for rain).

Thanks - I will clean off my 'fridge coils - that's a good idea.  However, the 'fridge just miraculously started working again when the weather cooled off after last summer's heat and it's been fine since. Still doesn't hurt - and can only help - to clean those coils so thanks for that.