Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Gone Back?

No. Once it’s sold, I don’t want to go back.  

Whatever the new owners do or don’t do is not my concern.  I don’t want my good memories tarnished 

Honored Contributor

I used to often drive by the house my parents owned which is about a mile from my house.  I had to stop because it made me so sad.  The was a holly bush in front which was mom's pride and joy.  It's now gone; probably wasn't watered so it died.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

yes

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jackhound Mom

Ours first was (I believe) bought (from our buyer) for develolpment (a couple dozen acres).  I don't know what happened to the plan.  I guess the house is still there.  The long driveway is overgrown and I can't tell.

It's sad (not depressing) only because if the house it still there nobody lives in it.

The second one...I haven't really been back, although it's about a 5-minute (ore less) drive.  I don't want to encounter the neighbor, who was part of our motivation to sell.  I don't think anyone lives there full time. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, and I like to go back to my childhood home and homes owned by grandparents. Guess I'm sentimental like that and enjoy the walks down memory lane even though things have changed.

Honored Contributor

Not in person (houses were in CA and I'm in NY).  Both were sold in the 1980s.

But - I do check Zillow every so often to see what's going on, if anyhting.

One of the houses has been "flipped" (according to notation at Zillow) .... but other than the patio cover removed ... I don't see any major changes / difference.  perhaps a new roof and paint inside and out and new dishwasher and stove. 

Any other changes can't be seen.

Esteemed Contributor

Agree with poster who said house looked good but neighborhood declined - childhood home I lived in birth - college.

My son and wife bought a house down the street from his childhood home - so it must not bother him.

We live in our homes for a long time so when I'm ready to move on -- I'm ready!  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Twenty years ago, I returned to the town where I grew up to celebrate the 100th anniversary of my high school. The town looked awful, the high school worse. It went from the public high school with three Nobel laureates to a school so awful that it was closed. I never returned. Then, fifteen years ago, my husband and I returned to the town where he grew up and where we married. Once again, it looked awful and we left vowing never to return. We kept our promise. You really can’t go home again.

Contributor

I sometimes pass the first home that my parents owned years ago. It still looks mildly the same from the outside. I don't think I could ever visit or would want to see the inside as I am sure it has changed and I prefer my memories. The neighborhood (which was bright and new) when we lived there is a little worn in appearance (not much landscaping or caretaking). I will keep my memories and photographs of the home.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes & all 3 homes looked great...our first, the size of a shoebox had a nicely done addition, the second looked the same but all the landscaping we added had matured & the third had an addition that changed the roofline. We enjoyed seeing them...each home represents a different stage in our family & all have happy memories.