Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Gone Back?

@sashamatthews wrote:

I recently drove by the house I lived in till I was 10.  It looks like a shack and is painted lavender with mustard yellow trim.  No lie!  The front lawn looks like it had had cars driven all over it. 

Heeheeheeheeheeheehee

Respected Contributor

Yes, we occasionally drive by the first house we bought when we got married when we go visit my mom.  It is still the same. It was a historic home so there is not much the new owner could do to it. It is still the same color house, they did change the shutters color. Trees are all still there. They did get rid of my veggie garden to make a bigger apron at the top of the driveway. But still looks great from the street. Haven't been inside. But just wait if there is ever a open house! Woman LOL

Valued Contributor

I’ve driven past my childhood home and it looks nice.  Whoever lives there updated windows and it appears well cared for.  I don’t think I’d want to go inside.  I think it would make me sad to see whatever changes they’ve made.  My dad did all the inside renovations himself and I’d hate to see his handiwork torn out.  One of my mottos is:  You must adapt because NOTHING stays the same.

Respected Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

To a home you have sold?  We did and it was depressing Cat Sad

Yes it was very depressing!  THey had the garage door open and had ripped out the cabinets that were in there for storage and painted the interior of the garage bright electric PINK!!  They also chopped down the beautiful magnolia tree in front.  It looked run down and kinda crazy with weeds all over. 

When we moved in there it was such a happy time...oldest son was 4 (starting pre-school) 2nd son was 15mo's....3rd son was just 3mo's old!  Got our 1st doggie....Maggie....my only girl (had her until she was 15yrs old...my baby) lived there for 10yrs...just out grew it...only had one full bathroom so it was time to move.  

The subdivision roads were a mess...all cracked up...pot holes...terribly rundown.  Even my crazy neighbors house across the street was in terrible shape and they really used to care for their property so well. I knew they had moved the second I saw it LOL!  Weeds up to your hips in the front yard!

I even snapped a few photos to show our son's....which are all in their 20's now.  Yep going back and seeing what has become of it was very depressing.  Never again!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did not go to my apt but I did go to the building I grew up in and walking around the lobby was surreal for me

eta Edited We had spent the morning doing a walking tour of the area around Yankee Stadium, conducted by a lifelong family friend. We parked and took the train to the location, once back at the car we rode down the Grand Concourse, I enjoyed showing Dh all of the places I have talked about since I know him, I also showed him Lebanon Hospital where we were both born, his folks moved from the area when he was 2 years old.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Not my own personal home as we have only had one! But I do drive by my parents house, where I grew up, often. It gives me great  pleasure as my parents build the home and it was where we grew up. My Mom and Dad dearly loved the house so it makes me feel close to them when I drive by. Sad and happy! 

Honored Contributor

I went to the other side of town where I grew up and the house looked better than I expected, but the neighborhood has really deteriorated...most houses have overgrown shrubbery and trees...and our old house had a goofy-looking white fence around the front yard.... wish I had not gone.
Honored Contributor

We are in the process of selling a home that was built by my great grandfather, and has been in the family for at least 120 years.

It is in a good location and built like a fortress, and although it wasn’t possible for it to remain in the family, the sale is breaking my heart.

If I can survive this, I can survive anything...........I was raised there.

Honored Contributor

@violann   I  understand how you feel. My dad built our house, too. When we had to sell after their deaths, I kissed the wall ,and told the house, thank you for your protection, and comfort, I kissed the wall with tears in my eyes, and told it good bye.