Valued Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Gone Back?

[ Edited ]

Many years ago we sold our home.  It was put on the market on a Monday for xxx $$$s.  On Tuesday our realtor called us and told us he had an offer for $1,000 less than what we listed it for.  On Wednesday we got an email from the potential buyers telling us how much they loved our 25+ year old home and how they were so impressed with the care we took of it and if they were able to buy it they would take care of it as much as we had.  They were sure it would go for more than asking, but they were a young couple, with a small child, looking for their first home and were offering the absolute top dollar they could afford.  They had looked at over 120 houses in their price range (ours was slightly over what they could afford), but none came close to the house in fabulous shape and 3 acres we were selling ours for.  I cried when I read the email and said to my husband, these kids need to have our house.

Thursday, the realtor called again and said another offer had been made.  Originally the folks offered $3,000 less than asking and the realtor told them we already had almost full asking and we were pretty committed to selling to the other couple.  They upped their game and said they would go $2,000 over full asking.

DH and I talked it over, and decided the few thousand bucks, one way or the other wasn't going to make or break us, so we went with the kids who came in at slightly less.  

When we closed we left them (and their little one) housewarmng gifts at the house and a card telling them how happy we were they bought our home and were sure they would enjoy it as much as we had.  They have since expanded their family.  To this day we exchange cards for occassions and we know we made the right choice by selling to them.

And yes, we'e been invited back, and they have fulfilled their promise by maintaining our once beloved home, and now loved by a whole new growing family.  LuLu

Respected Contributor

A beautiful house I had built was sold after divorce.  My friend bought it.  I moved to another town not too far away, but even though my friend lives in it, I do not want to see how it has changed

Several years after my mother and dad passed, my brother and I went back to the town where we grew up to see what was familiar and what had changed.  The house where I grew up was bought by someone I went to high school with so I would have been welcome there.  My brother and I sat in the car across the street for a good while debating whether we wanted to make the visit and decided that we did not.

Respected Contributor

I have gone back, and so beyond wish I had not, except for one.  It's the house we lived in, and spent 20 years raising our Children in Minnesota.

I get an occasional photo from my oldest Son, who still lives in the area.  The home still looks the same.  Of course I am still amazed at how much the trees have grown.  3 we planted with our Children.  We have photos of our little ones in front of those small fur trees we planted.  They tower over the house now.

My Father built that home for us...  And it still looks so good.  And  oh, all the love and memories that were shared there...  Heart

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

Not for me.  I can go past the home that we sold after the folks passed.  That's fine, but I wouldn't choose to go back inside, I too want the memories I have, to remain intact.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in the same town that I grew up in.  Our family home is in disrepair, abandoned & bank owned.  So sad to see it that way.  I lived there since I was 6 until I was married at 25.  I've lived in this house for 34 years.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your heart felt answers good & bad.  I enjoyed reading them all.

We were invited back to one home in Baxter MN.  The older couple made some changes and they were not pretty.  Also my beautiful light walls were soiled but this couple were in their late 80's and moved from White Cross MN and were lucky enough to pay cash.  We were amazed that they were still on their own and happy for them.  Still we both wished we had not gone back...

Respected Contributor

NO.

My daughter has though and shown me a few pics, and I must say, other than the trees being a lot bigger providing more shade, the houses looked a lot better when I lived there.

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, and I thank God I am out of there. Its still a nice house, but now there is a huge apartment complext across the road. The whole place has changed.

Trusted Contributor

I recently drove by the house I lived in till I was 10.  It looks like a shack and is painted lavender with mustard yellow trim.  No lie!  The front lawn looks like it had had cars driven all over it. 

Respected Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

@chiclets wrote:

Yes. But you can never "go back" because what you see is not what you saw when you were there. Memories are shadows in the mind. What you are looking at when you do go back is not the reality you had, it is the reality that is.

@chiclets...I love this...very thought provoking and so very true.

Sobering