Contributor

Have You Ever Felt Like a Scapegoat?

I kinda have that feeling today!

I work for a large local union office. I am the secretary/office administrator. I am the only full-time employee that they have and I have been there almost one year. The officers and stewards all work full-time at the company and work part-time (afternoons) at the union. I am not a union member. I don't work for the company. I work for the union.

I manage the office when the officers are not there. I do a little bit of everything -- all the administration, some facilities, keep the computers running smoothly, order all supplies, keep up the website, etc.

I make sure all the doors are locked when I am the last one to leave. Yesterday I was the last one to leave. The VP came up to this morning and asked me if I was the last to leave. I said yes. He then said the conference door was wide open and the financial office was unlocked.

I told him that I always check the doors when I leave. He said OK, that he would check with another person who may have been in last night.

I sometimes feel like because I am not a union member and just an employee that I am going to be the scapegoat sometimes.