Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,523
Registered: ‎10-25-2010

Re: Have You Ever Experienced Paranormal Activity?

I believe in spirits and I believe in science too.  I know for a fact that science has been baffled by many things they can't explain.

 

Scientists have proven that a person's spirit is real.  A person loses weight immediately upon death when the spirit leaves the body.

 

Man is still an infant in the total picture of the heavens and the earth.  We are still learning.  The whole universe is mighty, way beyond our intelligence.

 

American astronauts have even said these things while they were in space. I believe in many things that I have not experienced or seen for myself.  Many of our beliefs are faith based.  We have to have faith and trust that other's experiences are true.

 

i have never fallen from a great height, but I have faith that if I do, it won't be a good experience.  No one needs to prove this to me.

 

I also believe that many things people think is paranormal is just a coincidence and many people who claim to see " things" and talk to those who have passed are not truthful.

 

I don't claim to know everything, as with many other things, I am still learning.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,370
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Have You Ever Experienced Paranormal Activity?


@Homegirl wrote:

I skimmed both articles, @suzyQ3 , and thank you for bringing them to my attention, but still do not see that they explain what one has to do with the other.

The first article presupposes that ghosts are not real and cannot be proved.  Perhaps science just has not been able to find a way as yet.  That doesn't mean the spirit world doesn't exist.

I haven't experienced a ghost and probably wouldn't want to.

Nevertheless, why would I rule it out?

 

I do agree that, unfortunate as it is, too many do not understand and/or do not want to understand science, much less "believe" what it offers.

 

When in doubt, there's always a quote from Shakespeare!

 

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, 
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. 
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

 

 


Thank you, @Homegirl .

 

The crux of the issue for me is that instead of accepting that anything can be possible, I focus on the science behind how we arrived here and all that that entails. So yes, I rule out any beliefs based on "How can you say such-and-such can't exist?"

 

That is saying that something is true because there is no proof it is false.

 

In other words, the burden of proof is on the person positing the existence, not the person questioning it.

 

 

 


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,192
Registered: ‎03-31-2010

Re: Have You Ever Experienced Paranormal Activity?

My mother and I were very close.  She was dying of lung cancer.  One day we had a deep discussion of how we would communicate when she was gone.  I said, "Mom, let us communicate with red roses,"  They are my favorites and my mother's too. " If I see red roses on the street or in the dead of winter, I told her, I know it will be you."

 

Maybe a year after her death, I was at my desk at work.  Suddenly, I felt - no I knew, that I would find a single  long-stemmed red rose on my way home. 

 

It was the dead of winter in New York.  I made my way home leaving the train station and walking to my house.  I knew that I would find my rose.  As I turned a corner, suddenly, on the sidewalk in front of me there was a long-stemmed red rose.  I picked it up and carried it lovingly in my arms as I knew my mother had placed it there.  I passed by a group of teenage boys and one of them said to me, "Somebody sure loves you." And I said, "Yes, somebody does." 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,033
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: Have You Ever Experienced Paranormal Activity?

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Homegirl wrote:

I skimmed both articles, @suzyQ3 , and thank you for bringing them to my attention, but still do not see that they explain what one has to do with the other.

The first article presupposes that ghosts are not real and cannot be proved.  Perhaps science just has not been able to find a way as yet.  That doesn't mean the spirit world doesn't exist.

I haven't experienced a ghost and probably wouldn't want to.

Nevertheless, why would I rule it out?

 

I do agree that, unfortunate as it is, too many do not understand and/or do not want to understand science, much less "believe" what it offers.

 

When in doubt, there's always a quote from Shakespeare!

 

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, 
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. 
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

 

 


Thank you, @Homegirl .

 

The crux of the issue for me is that instead of accepting that anything can be possible, I focus on the science behind how we arrived here and all that that entails. So yes, I rule out any beliefs based on "How can you say such-and-such can't exist?"

 

That is saying that something is true because there is no proof it is false.

 

In other words, the burden of proof is on the person positing the existence, not the person questioning it.

 

 

 


Actually, no, I'm not saying that "something is true because there is no proof it is false."  Not at all.  I'm saying that it MAY be true because it has not been disproven.

 

As to a spirit or soul having a detectable weight, as yet I don't see how that would be possible since spirit/soul is energy and energy cannot be weighed.  Mass in Einstein's equation isn't the same mass as say, a chair. (I'm not a physicist, so please anyone interested do your own checking.)

 

But I understand your point of view.  

 

Lovely discussion, @suzyQ3  

Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,108
Registered: ‎12-02-2013

Re: Have You Ever Experienced Paranormal Activity?

When my mom began showing symptoms of dementia, I was put in the guiding role since I was the eldest.

 

my dad was having a very hard time understanding the illness and would become stubborn about doctor appointments for her and discussing assisted living options.

 

I was very distressed.  One day as I went down to the rec room to get to the clothes line in the back basement, I saw my paternal grandfather sitting in a chair by the fireplace.  I wasn’t scared and immediately told him that “ Joseph, I see you.  Please help you son do the right things for my mom. “ No response from him but I felt calmer and that he would intervene.  My mom went into assisted living a few weeks later.  

 

(  My paternal grandfather and I had been close while i was growing up...I lived in his home while my dad served in the Pacific during WW II )

 

Another interesting episode occurred on the night I had finally sold my parents’ home, although I didn’t realize it until the next day.

 

We arrived at our weekend house to find that the furnace had turned off and the place was colder than the outside.  We turned on space heaters and the fireplace.  Next morning as I was watching TV, I noticed that the little watch by my chair had stopped.  Ignored it: cheap watch !

 

When I got dressed later, I noticed that my wrist watch had stopped...not a cheap watch !  And then I realized that the stopped times matched my mother’s birthday and my favorite aunt’s birthday.  I believe it was their way of saying Thank you and we are happy the house will get a new life !

 

 

 

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,230
Registered: ‎08-22-2013

Re: Have You Ever Experienced Paranormal Activity?

In the Bible it says,"the dead know nothing", so I interpret that literally, but that's just me. That being said, whenever I am going through something difficult, I smell my Grandmother, usually at night in bed. I used to stay over at Gram's and sleep with her in her bed when I was a little girl and she and the bedding had a certain earthy smell. I was very close to my Gram,  she was my safe haven when I was a kid. Also, the week after my MIL died we were cleaning out her house and I could sense her energy in the house. I wasn't freaked out and I wasn't surprised. My MIL should have died peacefully in the nursing home instead of suffering so at home, but that's what she wanted.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,523
Registered: ‎10-25-2010

Re: Have You Ever Experienced Paranormal Activity?

@suzyQ3   Thanks for the snopes article.  That read was quite interesting.  I had to laugh when the experimentation was done on dogs comparing their souls to those of humans.

 

Anyway, the article is food for thought and gives me much to think about.

 

I do know 100% that our spirits do not die.  We just exist in a spiritual world as opposed to the material world we live in now.  I know because I have seen and have had experiences with those who have passed.  It is no cocindence that my very young son also saw the same thing.

 

We never discussed it until he was a young adult and we had moved from the house that contained the spirit of a young man.  My son had a ton of issues and fear based episodes, but he never said what the problem was as a child.  I was in denial and pretended it didn't exist, even though I had many encounters with the spirit.  I thought people would think I was crazy, so I tried to suppress it.

 

We only discussed the spirit after my son was invited to dinner at a friend's Aunts house.  At that dinner, my son met the son of the people who bought the house from us. That kid asked my son if he ever saw a ghost in the house when he lived there.  That opened up the discussion and my son came home to tell me for the first time that he saw a ghost and he wasn't the only one.  I believed him, because I saw him too.

 

i have also been visited by my departed father.  He was a forceful man.  I tried to ignore him, but he wasn't having any of that.  He turned lights on and off and would toss things around.  Even my DH saw that.  He has never seen anything else, even in our old house.

 

I can't explain why some people can see, hear and communicate and other's can't.

 

 

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,370
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Have You Ever Experienced Paranormal Activity?


@Homegirl wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Homegirl wrote:

I skimmed both articles, @suzyQ3 , and thank you for bringing them to my attention, but still do not see that they explain what one has to do with the other.

The first article presupposes that ghosts are not real and cannot be proved.  Perhaps science just has not been able to find a way as yet.  That doesn't mean the spirit world doesn't exist.

I haven't experienced a ghost and probably wouldn't want to.

Nevertheless, why would I rule it out?

 

I do agree that, unfortunate as it is, too many do not understand and/or do not want to understand science, much less "believe" what it offers.

 

When in doubt, there's always a quote from Shakespeare!

 

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, 
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. 
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

 

 


Thank you, @Homegirl .

 

The crux of the issue for me is that instead of accepting that anything can be possible, I focus on the science behind how we arrived here and all that that entails. So yes, I rule out any beliefs based on "How can you say such-and-such can't exist?"

 

That is saying that something is true because there is no proof it is false.

 

In other words, the burden of proof is on the person positing the existence, not the person questioning it.

 

 

 


Actually, no, I'm not saying that "something is true because there is no proof it is false."  Not at all.  I'm saying that it MAY be true because it has not been disproven.

 

As to a spirit or soul having a detectable weight, as yet I don't see how that would be possible since spirit/soul is energy and energy cannot be weighed.  Mass in Einstein's equation isn't the same mass as say, a chair. (I'm not a physicist, so please anyone interested do your own checking.)

 

But I understand your point of view.  

 

Lovely discussion, @suzyQ3  


@Homegirl, adding the word "may" doesn't negate the logical fallacy. Otherwise, we could say that anything might be true simply because it has not been disproven. We could certainly come up with some doozers. :-) You know, conspiracists depend strongly on this logical fallacy all the time.

 

If you're at all interested, take a look at the link I provided about the soul. It's actually quite interesting.

 

I agree about the discussion, Homegirl.

 

 


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,230
Registered: ‎08-22-2013

Re: Have You Ever Experienced Paranormal Activity?

@Stellabystarlight  I forgot, I have a rose story too. My brother died when he was little and my Mother of course was not coping very well, she missed him so. My brother died in the Spring and in the dead of Winter a white rose bloomed in our yard. My Mom took it as a sign from my brother that he was ok.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,142
Registered: ‎01-18-2012

Re: Have You Ever Experienced Paranormal Activity?

Only had two experiences both scarey to me.  

 

My close friend was renovating her dilapidated, abandoned, dated year 1700 cottages - making 2 stone ones into one large cottage, in  small village in Cornwall in U.K - building renovations everywhere.  She purchased these at auction  and had to bring workers from out of the area as no local builders were ‘available’.

 

Six of us seated for dinner in her beautiful old stone kitchen with huge fireplace at one end laughing, joking, when the large roast of beef on platter awaiting carving  on table came flying through air - passing us all seated. - and straight into fireplace.  None of us said a word just looked.

 

I was staying in the cottage with her and next a.m. very early could hear beeping, flashing lights in the lane outside and there pulled out into the middle of the very narrow country lane was my VW beetle, doors all open, lights flashing, etc.   My friend never said a word neither did I just brought car back onto property.

 

Few days later where the builders were digging the garden to put up stables - we found trinkets and keepsakes of what obviously belonged to people who had lived and died in the cottages.

 

 Checking with some local people later they told us these ‘happenings’ were because sacred land was being disturbed probably a poltergeist and that area was well-known to them for strange occurrences that was why no local builder would work there!  So all digging in that parcel of land stopped and became a beautiful garden.

 

She lived there for 30+ years - no more happenings.  We purchased cottage down lane from her but these two episodes were never discussed.