Trusted Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Experienced Paranormal Activity?

Thanks a lot everyone!  Now I'll have to sleep with all the lights on tonight!  Cripes!  😳  And no I've never had a paranormal experience, and I intend to keep it that way thank you very much!

Respected Contributor

When I was stationed in Germany we went to the Oktoberfest. Well we stopped at the Concentration Camp Dachau. When I got to the barracks I felt an over whelming fear and sorrow that came over me. Like I actually was feeling what these people felt. (If you can understand that). It was so strong.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Desertdi, my mother had no empathy or patience for store clerks or most workers, and yup, she never worked. Oh, my, how she would rant and rave at waiters in a restaurant. We had to stop her once from stomping into the kitchen. That time I recall apologizing as best I could without her seeing me do it.

@suzyQ3    I know exactly what you mean......and that is the reason why I couldn't place her in a "home".    I did have full-time at-home healthcare workers for her, but she didn't treat them well, and actually physically assaulted one woman, nearly knocking her out.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@jazzed wrote:

I am mystified by those that 'don’t believe' in other worldly activity.  Ghosts/spirits/manifestations are as real as we are. There is so much existing that is not perceived by the senses we experience in this body.

Some are loved ones needing assurance and a final goodbye before they leave for the continuing journey we are all on. Some are lost souls. Some are mischievous troublemakers. Some are quite sinister.  

@jazzed , it's one thing to have your feelings about this but quite another to wonder the reason that some people don't share them.

Essentially you are asking a person like me to join you in a belief that cannot be proved. 

And finally, I think that the proliferation of beliefs in all sorts of other worldly occurrences -- whether they be magic, or supernatural powers, or crystals, or any New Age-type spiritualism --  have played a big part in our decreasing interest in and knowledge of science.

That's okay, you don't have to join me. I said I was mystified.

I didn't mention magic, supernatural powers, crystals or new age spiritualism. 

Or science. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jazzed wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@jazzed wrote:

I am mystified by those that 'don’t believe' in other worldly activity.  Ghosts/spirits/manifestations are as real as we are. There is so much existing that is not perceived by the senses we experience in this body.

Some are loved ones needing assurance and a final goodbye before they leave for the continuing journey we are all on. Some are lost souls. Some are mischievous troublemakers. Some are quite sinister.  

@jazzed , it's one thing to have your feelings about this but quite another to wonder the reason that some people don't share them.

Essentially you are asking a person like me to join you in a belief that cannot be proved. 

And finally, I think that the proliferation of beliefs in all sorts of other worldly occurrences -- whether they be magic, or supernatural powers, or crystals, or any New Age-type spiritualism --  have played a big part in our decreasing interest in and knowledge of science.

Or science. 

Like @jazzed, I don't think this is something to "believe" in.  There are many things that exist whether we "believe" it or not.

Your comment about science re "New Age" is one of the few times I don't agree with you, @suzyQ3 

I think it's likely very much the opposite.  I do not see folks who don't want to "believe" in science "believing" in spirituality or crystals, and so on.

ETA: I actually don't think one has anything to do with the other so I think any connection would be personal, not global.

All that being said, I haven't experienced paranormal activity myself, but I have experienced strong negative energies.

One example was when DD and I were on a house/garden tour and stopped at one home with some lovely goats outside that particular semi-rural home.  As soon, however, as we stepped inside the home, I felt uneasy and wanted to "get the heck out."

Less than a week later I read a newspaper report that the adult son who lived in the home we were in had recently killed his next door neighbor. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I’ve had a lifetime of strange and wonderful experiences that leave no room for doubt. Most of those have involved unbidden messages that I won’t define but which are beyond our usual five senses.

The quick flashes of odd messages that are easy to ignore  can be mistaken for one’s own errant thoughts. I have learned to pay attention. One message helped me save my mother’s life. My husband and I were walking out the door when I heard that I needed to call Mother, who lived in another state at the time. My husband said we should go do our shopping and call her later. I said, “No,” and walked back inside to call. Her weak voice answered, saying, “Oh,I am so sick.” Her voice trailed off, she dropped the phone, and I cd hear her breathing and moaning in her bed. I got an ambulance for her, and they broke into the house. At the hospital, she was in critical condition with meningitis! She nearly died, and the doctor told me that she had been going in and out if consciousness and probably would have gone into a coma and died had I waited to call.

One more quick example: I was driving from my office downtown to meet my husband at a restaurant for his birthday. His mother had died only a few months earlier, so she was on my mind. As I drove, I focused on her and told her it was her son’s birthday and that we’d be thinking of her at dinner. As I passed a bank where we put some money we inherited from her, I mentioned that and told her not to worry and that her money as safe in CDs and we were not going to spend it. I added that I felt anything to do with that was between the two of them, but I just wanted to thank her and reassure her. The next morning, my husband walked into the kitchen with a quizzical look on his face. “I had the strangest dream early this morning,” he said. “Mom came to me, looking happy and smiling, and she said in a lighthearted way, ‘I don’t care what you do with the money. Just be sure your mortgage is paid off.’” He knew nothing about the “chat” I’d had with her the previous evening.

Respected Contributor

@JYWilliams wrote:

When I was stationed in Germany we went to the Oktoberfest. Well we stopped at the Concentration Camp Dachau. When I got to the barracks I felt an over whelming fear and sorrow that came over me. Like I actually was feeling what these people felt. (If you can understand that). It was so strong.

@JYWilliams 

I do understand what you mean. It is called clairempathy. I believe I have some form of it too. When it happens, I feel like I am actually the person in distress. Thankfully, it does not happen very often. It’s very painful. I have no control over which person or situation it is. 

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@jazzed wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@jazzed wrote:

Or science. 

Like @jazzed, I don't think this is something to "believe" in.  There are many things that exist whether we "believe" it or not.

Your comment about science re "New Age" is one of the few times I don't agree with you, @suzyQ3 

I think it's likely very much the opposite.  I do not see folks who don't want to "believe" in science "believing" in spirituality or crystals, and so on.

ETA: I actually don't think one has anything to do with the other so I think any connection would be personal, not global.

All that being said, I haven't experienced paranormal activity myself, but I have experienced strong negative energies.

One example was when DD and I were on a house/garden tour and stopped at one home with some lovely goats outside that particular semi-rural home.  As soon, however, as we stepped inside the home, I felt uneasy and wanted to "get the heck out."

Less than a week later I read a newspaper report that the adult son who lived in the home we were in had recently killed his next door neighbor. 

@GingerPeach, no two people always agree on everything. :-)

I stand by my "belief" that the current rise of interest in the paranormal (I'm giving it a broad definition here) is rooted in societal issues: Here is an excellent article from The Atlantic, and I'm sure that there are other good ones as well.

And at the same time, the confidence in science and scientists has taken a big hit: Here is an excellent article from Science Digest from 2018, in which they refer to "truth decay."

Coincidence? I tend to think not.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@jazzed wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@jazzed wrote:

Or science. 

@jazzed, no, you did not mention them.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I skimmed both articles, @suzyQ3 , and thank you for bringing them to my attention, but still do not see that they explain what one has to do with the other.

The first article presupposes that ghosts are not real and cannot be proved.  Perhaps science just has not been able to find a way as yet.  That doesn't mean the spirit world doesn't exist.

I haven't experienced a ghost and probably wouldn't want to.

Nevertheless, why would I rule it out?

I do agree that, unfortunate as it is, too many do not understand and/or do not want to understand science, much less "believe" what it offers.

ETA: Upon re-reading your more recent post, in particular this line, ". . .current rise of interest in the paranormal (I'm giving it a broad definition here) is rooted in societal issues," it doesn't seem quite the same as what you wrote in your first post.  I do agree that the rise of interest is rooted in societal issues.  Scared people always look for what they think of as easy solutions.  Perhaps that's too simple.

When in doubt, there's always a quote from Shakespeare!

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, 
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. 
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.