Trusted Contributor

Re: Have Movie Theaters Been Replaced

Movie theaters are THE place to go on a hot, summer afternoon. That said, the cost is simply over the top for a large family. We stopped going years ago. 

I grew up with a local drive-in and have always been sad that none of my kids would have that experience (they've all closed in my state). If they come back, we'll be there. Smiley Happy

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Meowingkitty  I'm not sure it's safe to sit in a car with the engine running for two hours to keep the a/c or heat going.  

That's why outdoor movies won't make it from May to October in Arizona. Way to hot to sit in a car even at 9 pm. Would only be able to do it during October through April when the weather is nice. You might need a blanket in winter but at least you won't be sweating bullets like in summer.

Honored Contributor

Who knows? I sure won't be going to any if they do return. 

Super Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

Since movies are now being released on platforms where you can watch from your sofa, do you think theaters are obsolete? I don't know if people will come back to theaters for fear of being in close contact with other people. I heard talk of bringing drive ins back. I don't know if theaters will ever recover. 

Movie theaters have been out for me for a long time.

Most available here are nasty, just nasty.  People yacking all the way through, folks on electronics  text, games, w/ lights and noise, people bringing in take out, fried fish, kimchi, trading places, getting up constantly.

Last one, a family of four came in 20 min. after feature started, asked DH, Dad, and me to stand up to let them in, the theater was 1/2 empty, wife stopped front of me while I was still standing to take off coat, Sunny, age

8 - 11 went out to 3 times, requiring us to stand, rather than disturb his family.  His request to us each time,  “let me out,” 4th time I said, “No, go around.”

After

I was finished way pre- virus.

My experience wasn't as bad, but I understand completely. I went to see The Empire Strikes Back when it was re-released years ago since I was giving birth the first time it came out. Two boys behind me were talking about parts of the movie that didn't happen yet. I turned around to tell them that I didn't see the movie yet, please be quiet.

I think I saw maybe one movie every other year after that. The last one I saw was with the adult son who wanted to see the last Star Wars movie before it came out on BluRay.  It was to start at noon, but after a ton of ads, it started at 12:20. I paid to see the movie, not 20 minutes of commercials.

Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty : Sorry to disagree, but Barstow (same temperature as desert parts of AZ) is reopening their drive in theatre this Friday with two double features (including "The Hunt" and "Trolls").  They are advertising as far as one and a half hours away (Ridgecrest and Victorville), hard to believe they won't be sold out.  When I lived in Barstow 37 years ago I thought it was very closed.

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@Meowingkitty : Sorry to disagree, but Barstow (same temperature as desert parts of AZ) is reopening their drive in theatre this Friday with two double features (including "The Hunt" and "Trolls").  They are advertising as far as one and a half hours away (Ridgecrest and Victorville), hard to believe they won't be sold out.  When I lived in Barstow 37 years ago I thought it was very closed.

Are they actually showing these two movies as a double feature? Please say "no", because I honestly can't imagine two less compatible movies (well, I suppose "Saw" and "Bambi" would be worse.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love the movie experience. But it's hard to get my husband up and running for it. If I suggest a particular one, he'll race to find bad reviews online. :-)

We are not fans of more commercial movies. We're finding much available on Netflix or Amazon that appeals to us. Mostly, though, we do series stuff.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Theaters have been having lower attendance for years; the cost, the crowds, the obnoxious behavior of those who insist on talking on their phones, etc. Add the need for social distancing, and I doubt there will be a surge in movie-goers. There have been so few movies I would want to go out to see....and now it is easier to watch movies at home. In my pjs....with my own snacks.....no-brainer!

I do remember, though, that most of my first dates in high school were almost always to a movie. My first date with DH was also to a movie.....guess first dates will need to find another place to go....

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

For me a movie theatre has about the same appeal as a public bath in ancient Rome! 

@Sooner- I swear, sometimes you just crack me up! Thanks for the laughs!!!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Not everybody has a 72 inch tv with stereo surround sound to watch movies on.

Seating will be a butt in every other seat, and every other row blocked off.

I'm on a committee re the future of Broadway theaters, and it seems that theaters in general may operate similar to what you describe.  Surveys have been sent out asking patrons what they would be comfortable with:  how many seats apart (2 seats in between?  3?  4?), fewer people allowed in the lobby at one time, how concessions and restrooms would be managed, etc.  We're trying to determine what would make people the most comfortable and likely to return to theaters.

The biggest question is when people think they'd be likely to return.  This fall?  Next spring?  Later in 2021?  The future of theaters (movie and live performance) is going to change for sure.  There's nothing like a movie on a giant movie screen and there's nothing like a  live show, so hopefully theaters will find their way back.