Trusted Contributor

Re: Hats off to all Teachers but especially those who teach Kindergarten !

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Even with. adult supervision...teaching is not ideal without direct instruction.  Currently,, I would home school my children even if it meant school after the parent's workday.  

Absolutely agree with this.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

@Janey2wrote: Why isn't your grandson in school?

His mom and dad prefer to keep him home in virtual school at this time. There are at least 20 children in the class

@Goodie2shoes   Which is the right of any parent and they are doing what is best for their child.

As far as parents monitoring what is going on-all that matters is your grandson.  Some school systems do not want parents hovering over the students, too.

The children are losing out on social interaction and other important skills as it is;  but if parents do not disconnect TV or put controls on laptops-they and they alone will have to deal with the consequences of their children losing out.

I suspect nobody really had the experience before dealing with virtual learning, especially for such young children.

My granddaughter is still in virtual learning and I understand the "why".

Not every parent is involved even with classes in RL; it is no surprise that some are not involved with virtual learning, too.

As someone who used to work with adjudicated delinquents, I disagree. It is not only parents and parents alone who will deal with the consequences. This becomes a societal problem.

Respected Contributor

Subbing in a kindergarten class a few year ago was one of the hardest days I had experienced.  Everything from not getting to the bathroom in time, to not being able to do basic cutting exercises.  I remember the room was so "full" I had difficulty locating the telephone when it rang!  There are always the "know it alls" that keep giving you instructions on what teacher always does.  I vowed that day to avoid Kindergarten from then on.  Those teachers must be exhausted each day.        I have been helping home schooling kindergartener this semester and their attention is limited.  Fortunately I can set timer and give break as we need.  Teachers have to keep it best for the class along with schedule of lunch, music, etc.  The intrigue and draw  of the computer/tablet is a huge drawback.  Once their exposure to gaming has been established, their little minds can't tear themselves away.  Working parents are being challenged.  Interesting that many parents still through all this don't recognize the patience, kindness, and skill that child caregivers give their children.  As pay scales have increased for so many, child care givers are still at the bottom of the barrel.