Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hate seeing horses used in crowds

[ Edited ]

@stevieb 

I believe you are right. 

In the DC area it is the Park Police that ride horses.  Not sure if they are the ones doing crowd control, but I assume so.

As I mentioned, when I worked in DC, I ran near their stables every day.  I would see them loading and unloading the horses, and they were always a presence on the grounds around the Memorial.  Sometimes, the officers would take them out for a little run.

Everyone loved seeing them.

In that peaceful setting, they are glorious and a pleasure to see.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman  When the crowds are normal and peaceful, I don't even mind too much seeing the mounted police doing a bit of crowd control, but under the current circumstances, I'd prefer they left the horses out of it and safely in the stables... I live near another park a bit further out and there is (or used to be, I haven't been in a while) a smaller stable there where just a few horses have been kept and we always used to see a couple of mounted park police meandering throughout the park...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

Horse racing is back in new york.thank god the greatest sport in america is back,

cant wait to watch my horse run at  BELMONT PARK and SARATOGA.

I love horse racing.......

Honored Contributor

Too many horses die from horseracing.😥
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee Don't like horseracing either. Never did like seeing the jockeys hitting the horses with a stick, or whatever the name of that thing is they beat the horses with.

Valued Contributor

Ha.  I wish that were true.  Abuse is rampant, and not just the animals.  Children, women...it's a huge problem.

Respected Contributor

DOG and HORSES - these animals are hurt by DISRESPTFUL/HATEFUL/REPULSIVE HUMANS...in a VARIETY of crowd situations.

it sickens me...it is inexcusable. I hate seeing it.

Trusted Contributor

@heart of savino wrote:

Horse racing is back in new york.thank god the greatest sport in america is back,

cant wait to watch my horse run at  BELMONT PARK and SARATOGA.

I love horse racing.......

@heart of savino   It seemed weird to watch Belmont today after such a long break. They're talking about planning for maybe some spectators later in the Saratoga meet but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@prettychris You are reading something into posts that isn't there.Nobody said they are MORE concerned with horses than people. I respect the posters here enough to think they are concerned with both. It isn't either horses OR people and I don't even know why a reasonable person would assume that.

@Pearlee - Thank you for being the voice of reason.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw the picture of the horse hit in the head with the rock the other night.  My heart hurt they are such trusting creatures.  I won't even ride mine in a parade.