Honored Contributor

Re: Hate seeing horses used in crowds

@Pearlee wrote:
The Amish that run puppy mills don't treat dogs very well either. 😥

Generalizations make for poor logic.  I'm sure many Amish cherish all their animals.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

Not me, I like to see more mounted patrols...the mass of the horse get crowds to move without harming them or the officer & that's a good thing.

@kitcat51 But we don't know what the protesters or anybody else may do to the horses...  that's the problem with you theory.

What about the innocent people who could very well be hurt? I love animals don't get me wrong but it's scary out there for everyone. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KatieB wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

Not me, I like to see more mounted patrols...the mass of the horse get crowds to move without harming them or the officer & that's a good thing.

@kitcat51 But we don't know what the protesters or anybody else may do to the horses...  that's the problem with you theory.

So your theory...it's better that harm comes to people? An officer towers over a crowd on a horse, the horses mass moves crowds along & several mounted officers can disperse a crowd into smaller groups that are easier to control. Innocent bystanders & Officers on the ground are easy targets for a crowd as we are sadly seeing & people in a large crowd - mob become emboldened to do things they wouldn't do on their own so I'm all for using horses & dogs...these animals should be recognized  for the lives they save, they play an important part in law enforcement & the military. There are War Dog cemeteries where these heroes are laid to rest & their police officer & military handlers weep remembering their service & loyalty.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley SadK-9 patrol, security duty, horse racing, puppy mills, etc.,Smiley MadSmiley MadSmiley Mad

Honored Contributor

I also hate the use of horses or dogs to control crowds or worse, riots.  The people choose to be there; the animals have no choice.

We have other means of transport; we don't need to use live animals in this day and age.  Thinking no one in a crowd will throw an incendiary device aimed at the police, but that will injure the animals is wishful thinking.

I lived in England during the I.R.A.'s reign of terror and the animals were badly injured many times.  It's no good thinking it couldn't or wouldn't happen here.

Keep the animals out of it.

Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

I also hate the use of horses or dogs to control crowds or worse, riots.  The people choose to be there; the animals have no choice.

We have other means of transport; we don't need to use live animals in this day and age.  Thinking no one in a crowd will throw an incendiary device aimed at the police, but that will injure the animals is wishful thinking.

I lived in England during the I.R.A.'s reign of terror and the animals were badly injured many times.  It's no good thinking it couldn't or wouldn't happen here.

Police do not choose to be there it is their job. If they don't go they lose that job. People who are just driving to take kids somewhere or home from work are not choosing to be there. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:
The Amish that run puppy mills don't treat dogs very well either. 😥

Generalizations make for poor logic.  I'm sure many Amish cherish all their animals.

@Kachina624, IDK. I guess you could run a puppy mill with the dogs' best interest at heart, but I doubt that is the majority. It seems to me that puppy mill implies not treating dog in an optimal way.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lali1 wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

Police do not choose to be there it is their job. If they don't go they lose that job. People who are just driving to take kids somewhere or home from work are not choosing to be there. 

With respect, the police chose their career.  People make their own choices; animals do not.

(And I'm not sure why someone would be driving their kids to school during a protest - that's what we're talking about here.  The "people" who choose to be there are the protestors.)

Honored Contributor

I hate seeing it.

I wish they were all just loved companions, hanging around their fields and paddocks.

If wishes were horses...

Esteemed Contributor

The police horses and dogs, are extremely well trained.

They are even called officers and given badgs.

They train the horses to handle large boisterous crowds.

So, does it "hurt my heart" to see them used, or consider it "animal cruelty" ?

No, I don't.

Because I know that the human officer loves their four legged partner, and because they are so well trained.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.