Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has your loneliness increased during Covid if you live aone

Yes.  Even tho I live alone, the issue isn't that I didn't go out much.  The issue was that you weren't allowed to!!  There is a difference............taking away our freedom!

Then to add to the fear that the media and governors put into everyone, especially the elderly, led to much anxiety.

Respected Contributor

Went out yesterday for the first time in almost 3 months and I almost forgot how to drive. Everyone in masks and standing far apart...I felt like I was in a Twilight Zone episode. Thanks to all who were so honest with their postings on the loneliness question. I felt weird untill I read a lot of you felt just like me. Now I don't feel so alone. Thank God for my dogs! They help me make it through anything....even this.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Embedded in the question, "Has your loneliness increased during Covid if you live alone[?]" is the assumption you were already lonely, presumably because you live alone. That's not a sound assumption. Hopefully the query was just not ideally framed.

I live alone but I wasn't lonely before and I'm not lonely now. I get out at least every week now to get groceries or visit the vet or get gas, and I have human interaction at each of those encounters. I consider online contact like this to be human interaction. Fortunately, I am not a hugger, so I don't  miss being squished. I feel sorry for those who like close contact, because this must be very difficult for them.

I think that people who feel "lonely" under our current circumstances are probably experiencing a mix of negative emotions, including anxiety, fear, uncertainty, distrust, etc. All of that makes sense in this situation, whether you live with people or not.

Honored Contributor

I Don't live alone but I feel lonely.The world I knew is not the same and may never be.I am sad for all of the changes that keep us apart from family,friends and day to day life.

Honored Contributor

I don't live alone so that helps. We were always encouraged to go out,walk,run, ride a bike,etc. just wear a mask if you do it with other people. My town always has had people out and about. My husband has always seen his friends. Just wearing a mask and not invading each other's space. 

We are going on vacation in a few weeks with family. Just will not be kissing and hugging. Around here, lock down was not meant literally. 

Trusted Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

Yes. I was a happy introvert, being home and often not with people was a fine way for me. But 4 months of true isolation has shown me my tolerance for it going on and on is limited. I never thought I'd be lonely, but I realize I am.

My FaceTime sessions with an old friend across the country have really helped my morale. I do need more affection and attention than I thought I did. The Covid era has shown me something about myself that suprised me. I m ght not feel it's safe to solve this right away, but I think I will try to get out and be more open to being with people in the future. I don't need a big dose of humanity, but way more than I'm getting now. 

I agree with you completely, but I think my solution will be to get a puppy.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

That was so sweet of you to suggest..... 🌷I will give it a thought. I hope you are safe and well. I get turned around in these forums now so I'm sorry if I pass this way again......😋

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Super Contributor

@dex 

I agree with you totally!

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda 

Thank you so much for your idea and kindness.. Heart

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Occasional Contributor

I am an introvert so I like my alone time, so no i don't feel lonely.  When our state was locked down in the beginning i did feel a little isolated.  But i am retired and love to garden.  Been doing many projects around the house.  Glad for FaceTime with some friends, not the same as seeing them in person but for now it will have to do.  Love to read and go on walks.  Sometimes i just get in the car and go for a drive.  

Living in the beautiful mountains of Western NC.