Honored Contributor

Re: Has your loneliness increased during Covid if you live aone

@Still Raining wrote:

Seems to be something to get used to.  

However when you are dressing up for grocery pickup and the oncology nurse is your new best friend, even I know that I have problems.

Life used to be much better.

@Still Raining    Your post gave me a good chuckle as I find myself carefully considering my attire to do my Walmart grocery pick-up.  I also have big self debates on whether I can go to the mailbox 40 ft down the driveway without putting on my bra.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I miss just going to the library and having simple conversations with people face to face, and making eye contact. Also at the grocery or any store. I do miss it, but people in my area do not wear masks, so I'm just gonna stay away from folks as much as I can. I thank God I can order my groceries and things I need from wal mart and go pick it up. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

Seems to be something to get used to.  

However when you are dressing up for grocery pickup and the oncology nurse is your new best friend, even I know that I have problems.

Life used to be much better.

@Still Raining    Your post gave me a good chuckle as I find myself carefully considering my attire to do my Walmart grocery pick-up.  I also have big self debates on whether I can go to the mailbox 40 ft down the driveway without putting on my bra.

I call.  I have an underwire on.

Esteemed Contributor

You don't have to live alone to feel lonely in this pandemic world but it sure doesn't help things. The quarantines and lockdowns and the lack of a daily normal routine that you had before all of this has been terrible for both my mom and mother-in-law. It's accelerated their physical, mental, and emotional decline. They are both in their early 90s and I think the pandemic effects will eventually kill them, it just won't be from the corona virus. The cognitive decline in both that I've seen since the lockdowns/quarantines is shocking to me.

Honored Contributor

I live alone but I am not lonely.  Now that the weather is getting warmer I am out working in the yard.  I live in a neighborhood of very nice people.  I was out this morning working in the front yard and two neighbors came over to chat and a 5-year old to show me her new tricks on her bike.  I have been in since February so I had to figure out a new normal.  I have groceries delivered every Friday.  I have learned to think ahead because I was usually at a grocery store 3 times a week.  I miss my exercise classes and trips to the library (my Amazon bill is terrible due to buying books).  I am just thankful I am quarantined alone and I think I will probably stay self quarantined awhile since people are not big on wearing masks where I live.  

Esteemed Contributor

@gizmogal Enjoyed reading your post. Appreciate your honesty and trust better days ahead soon for you.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I think I feel similarly to @Kachina624 . I have 2 dogs that are sweet companions. My adult child lives on the opposite coast, almost 3,000 miles away, and extended family lives in the Midwest. I have a few "work friends", but I retired last month. I keep in touch with a sibling and 2 BFF's at least 3-4 times per week, but they also live far away.

My loneliness has increased. 

Honored Contributor

Has my lonliness increased?  No, because I can't even recall one time that I was lonely.  My solitude is important to me. 

I socialize various ways, but having alone time every day is important.   I really enjoy reading, so my mind is always ruminating about the current mystery novel.  Nah, not lonely.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gellen wrote:

Mine sure has.  Good thing I am headed out of town for three weeks with family.

YES!  I'm retired and had a fun social life.  I miss seeing my friends, having lunch or dinner with them, hanging out with them, doing things with them.  I miss the charities I had been working with.  Most of all, I miss hugging my 88 yr old dad.  

Honored Contributor

Mine sure has. My elderly mother who I took care of died on January 31 of this year. So I was already sad and lonely, her death has left a big void in my life. Then the COVID-19 virus hit, having to be quarantined just added to what I was feeling. I go out to grocery shop and go to CVS, that's about it. Now with things opening up (I live in NYC) I'm afraid I have lost the ability to interact with people, it's been so long. What I have missed during this time, wearing a mask, you can't see what people are feeling, I always liked smiling at people, getting the same response back.