Honored Contributor

Re: Has your loneliness increased during Covid if you live aone

Not at all! In fact, I would kind of like some "alone" time. It seems friends/family are always calling, texting, emailing, Skyping, etc. Before the virus, we kept in touch, but not like this. Guess everyone has a lot of time on their hands! ha!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@cbrite  Big pre-COVID hug for you. 

Those not-friends who are going to drop by sometime...when things open up and you feel comfortable, if you want to pursue a friendship, contact them and set a specific time. I've found those sometime/anytime get togethers seldom happen. 

Pet companionship...any fostering opportunities in your area, if you'd be interested?  If you don't know of any, you might contact a local veterinarian  to see if they know of any. 

In the meantime, be kind to yourself. ❤️

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

I have two Jack Russells when keep me busy. The older one Krypto is 17 and for several weeks his degenerative spine has bothered him. So, I've been nursing him back with soon feeding, medicine change and carrying  him outside. He's much better now but I know his life is growing short. But, so is mine! he's my best friend. 
  My granddaughter's 13th  birthday is The 18th, She and my son came briefly  last night wearing masks and bringing donuts. I hadn't seen her since church in early March. It was SO good to see them! I've seen my son occasionally when he's brought things. I leave the newspapers for him and wave. But Ive missed my granddaughter. And older granddaughter,(who's moving across the country)  grandson and three great grand babies. I'll probably never see them again

They'll have the family over to his house tonight but I'm afraid of time involved and the crowd. I have to live to care for my dogs. I gave her a large bag of gifts I'd purchased on line and before the stay at home. (Also a $200 check I haven't been able to deposit). 
  I explained to her that if she's exposed to COVID19 her chances are minimum of contacting it. About 30% .I'll be 78 soon and my chances are over 75%. 
  I told them unless there's a vaccine I won't be able to be with the family for Thanksgiving and Christmas or until the vaccine.They understand, but it's so hard! I'm almost deaf so can't hear voices over the phone. Depressing! 

I miss going to lunch with friends. I only go to the vets curbside, grocery stores fast then wipe everything and shower, and walk dogs, (Krypto only in the yard).

I miss shopping, church and eating out. I pray a lot, clean house a lot, do yard work. But I miss my family!  

Honored Contributor

I live alone - but I've never been "lonely."  The majority of my friends are single / widow older retired women who live alone.  

• We all belong the the same chuch and women's groups, live in the same general area.  We are all "online."  

• We are all in regular email contact, regular zoom meetings, etc. 

• I can't count the number of times I've run into one of them on the street while out doing errands, or in the deli or supermarket. 

• We even got a group together to meet out in the park for a "social distance" Rosary a couple of weeks ago.  A couple of people passing stopped and joined us!

• None of my family members live nearby by - but we're in constant FB messenger contact - back and forth several times a day, every day.  Nothing changed.  .

Respected Contributor

I'm actually doing many of the things I haven't had time to do in the past. I pack lunch almost every day and go somewhere in my town and sit and eat. I feel like I am getting out in civilization.  I am in a college/tourist town and none of them are here so it is pretty quiet. A good thing.

Respected Contributor

No, not at all. 

There are things that I've missed doing, but I haven't been the least bit lonely. I've just found other ways to keep active and connected. 

For example - for Friday afternoon "happy times" with 3-4 of my neighbors, instead of taking turns hosting, we all provided our own food and drinks (instead of sharing). Rather than meeting on someone's deck, we've arranged our lawn/bag chairs in a circle, all 6 feet apart. 

It just takes a bit of creativity. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@cbrite   Many rescue groups have a "Seniors for Seniors" program where they place older dogs with older adopters.  You also could inquire about adopting an older pet at your local shelter.  These are the animals that need homes the most.  They're settled, housebroken and appreciative.

Having two dogs has saved me during this horrid ordeal as I have few friends and no relatives in the area where I live.  I have a sister in PA. to whom I speak several times a week, and that's the extent of my social contacts.  Thankfully, I'm very good at entertaining myself.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Seems to be something to get used to.  

However when you are dressing up for grocery pickup and the oncology nurse is your new best friend, even I know that I have problems.

Life used to be much better.

Honored Contributor

Yes, mine has. I'm an introvert too, and honestly most people in my life had really let me down after my Mom died. So I wasn't all that sad to lose their company. Grief makes people very uncomfortable, and other people...well you find out who people truly are if you didn't already know.

I live alone, and have always enjoyed doing things alone. Plays, concerts, volunteering. That all disappeared with the pandemic. So did my work.

My grief has intensified during this pandemic, so has my depression and anxiety. Luckily I have one friend I talk to every week, and therapy by telehealth twice a week. That keeps me going.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Respected Contributor

No it hasnt at all.  I still text and do facebook messages with friends and talk on phone and text with family.