Respected Contributor

Re: Has your attitude about shopping changed since 2019?

@Sooner 

I see your point. If I had health issues, I would probably stay in more. 

Honored Contributor

We use to go to Barnes & Noble more.  I can get lost in books.  Then they redid the layout.  If you aren't in elementary, then it's not for you.  I don't like it at all.  It's not adult friendly I think.

But they redid the library and I need to go check it out.  With Covid, got really out the habit of going there.

Isn't it amazing how, doing without something for awhile, can make you feel you've never had it to begin with.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like to get out and go shop.  My husband does most of the grocery shopping and I do most of the other shopping.  Sometimes we both go.

I like getting out and checking things out for myself.  I also like doing things for myself.  

During the pandemic we were careful and shopped only certain hours and not as often either.  As far as eating out we don't really do much of that any more.  Rather cook at home or carry out.

Feels good to get back to some of those things again.  It was a tough time and I was considered an essential.worker where I work so no time off.  Company took a lot of precautions so I felt pretty good about it too.  

Respected Contributor

No attitude change here, other than I don't enjoy going to the grocery store due to the continually rising prices. I prefer selecting my own produce, etc rather than doing pickup, which I did early-on during COVID. Pickup is convenient for many but it served its purpose for me, and I now go into the store. I can figure out what a substitute can be if they are out of something. Leaving that up to whoever filled the pickup order was risky at best. I got some surprising substitutes. Clothing I will buy online from specific sites if I know how their sizes there run. I prefer shopping for clothes online especially if they have a local store here and I can return or exchange it in person. I hate mailing back returns. 

Honored Contributor

No. my attitude and shopping habits have not changed.  I have a list and tend to buy staple produce that I like to pick out.  We also do Amazon shopping.  I have never been interested in mall browsing.  The changes are obvious - prices are high. cost for traveling high, crime rate high, some products limited.  I do not allow these changes to impact my life or my shopping habits.  

Honored Contributor

I am just now occasionally venturing into a grocery store but just if I need a couple of things. I go at off times so it's not as crowded.  I don't browze. I get what I came for and get out.

For regular grocery needs, I order online and have it delivered or drive up for it because I still am not comfortable about covid variants.

I lost friends and relatives to covid. Only 1/2 of my state is vaccinated. I have had 2 vaccines and 2 boosters but I still don't want to get it or accidentally carry it to my 90 yr old dad.

Respected Contributor

All my clothes, shoes, etc. are bought online...more because I just don't enjoy going to the mall anymore than because of the pandemic.

Grocery, Walmart, Walgreen, Lowe's, etc. are still done mostly in person.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner  No it hasn't.  I have always and will always go to the stores.  I'm with some of the people here that prefer to pick out their groceries and items.  Pictures can be made to look pretty, put a filter on it, etc and that item looks great and when you get it...not so much.  Turns out the picture wasn't quite what you got delivered to you.  Even clothing descriptions of fabric, it might be the fabric content you know you like and yet you get it and it's no where near what you bought before.   I'm sure alot of people swear by their delivered items and that's fine, that's why there is so much stuff delivered. People need to do what makes them comfortable.   But if I can find it in a store I would rather look at it, and really see what I'm getting.  I'm fine in stores and malls and pharmacies.  I've never been worried and never will.  In the end all that matters is you got what you wanted.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I find I have been getting my staples more and more from Amazon due to inflation. I can get it cheaper and in bulk so I stock up with them once a month and then do a quick supermarket run once a week for the produce and almond milk. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Reading through the posts, I thought about something .... coupons.  If you order online and then have pick up or delivery, can you still use paper coupons?   I don't have many, but if I have a coupon for $3 off a 4 pack of protein shakes, I want to use it.

Also .... anyone else find that the digital coupons don't always work?  My favorite cashier at my favorite store says it's a huge hassle for them ......  sometimes up to half the loaded digital coupons don't actually reduce the price!  They are "loaded" on your card, but don't work.

Anyone else notice this?