Occasional Contributor

Re: Has your attitude about shopping changed since 2019?

By the pictures you are obviously a very smart shopper! (Just look at those earrings!) And I shop at the impulse store too!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

I used to wander around the grocery store looking for things.  Now I have no plans to ever be in one again.  I go online and find what I want and either I drive over and someone puts in in my car or stay home and it's on the porch!  Amazing!

I am Woman Embarassed about how much stuff I bought I didn't need by browsing in stores.  I have found there are more fun things to do!!!   I hated trying on clothes and looking and looking for things I needed.  Now it comes to me!

It is a surpise, but a good one.  One thing I miss is browsing in the library.  Our library is now geared more to social services and teaching and such than books.

Sorry you do not like to go out anymore.   Is it because of the pandemic? Libraries do offer other services now, but you will find their main goal is still the circulation of books.  My husband is Assistant Director at our Public Library, and I can say books are still a majority of their business.  If a book is not on the shelf, they will order it.  I would not give up things I like to do and reading and the library are one of them.

Honored Contributor

since 2019 my attitude regarding shopping has not changed much.....

during the 2000s i was always a big catalog shopper, online shopper, tv shopper versus going into stores. always found it easier and less of a hassle.

the grocery store is one of my favorite errands and i go to multiple grocery stores a week. i especially enjoy it when i am not in a rush. i dont like to have groceries delivered....i want to see and hand pick everything myself.

i will say i LOVE being out and about again, enjoying my "freedom", not wearing a mask, and being able to see friendly faces.....even when i am doing nothing!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Yes, quite a bit. I changed my dietary habits slowly but surely and I no longer eat certain unhealthy foods. I need to buy most of my food daily or every other day as I eat a lot of fresh produce, fish and ingredients must be fresh. Freezing fish? Been there done that and do not enjoy it. Before I used to buy processed food and ate out a lot. 

I still enjoy shopping in a mall. The N.Y. area I live in has many of them. Clothing I am very particular about fit so it helps to see it in person. Shoes I am between sizes so trying them on alleviates returns. I order from Amazon for things like home decor, Keurig coffee and various specialty foods.

I like getting out of the house as I need the exercise and I enjoy the social aspect of not being a homebody. (I wear a mask where there are crowds.)

Honored Contributor

@Sweet Kitties wrote:

Seriously deeva, you really don't know much about covid? Let me tell you what it did. It killed 1,030,962 in the United States. It killed 6,405,438 world wide. My brother in law was one of the deaths. His idiotic children & grandchildren would visit him as though everything was fine. One of his grandchildren gave it to him. He suffered in the ICU for a month before his lungs became so destroyed he died. This was no disease to act so caviler about it. People who ran around & acted like it wasn't a big deal helped to spread the disease. 

@Sweet Kitties  - IMO, the ones with the cavalier attitude don't know about all the deaths, don't care, or never lost a loved one from covid.

Esteemed Contributor

My shopping has changed through the years, though not just because of covid.  I haven't been in a real store to shop for clothes in eons ... not since my best friend developed  dementia and subsequently died in 2018 ... but even long before that.  We used to do everything together ... gosh how I miss her!

I never grocery-shopped ... that was/is my husband's thing; but since he now has medical issues, my son takes him ... I steer clear of anything related to a super market.

I miss eating out with my sisters ... one died during the pandemic, and I think it was partly covid-related, although not the cause of death.  

I still love to shop on line but am not going much of anywhere to wear all these gorgeous sweaters and jackets I've accumulated ... doctors, dentist ... that's pretty much it.   

I think I'm becoming an agoraphobic, although I so enjoy when my son and DIL come and we go out and about.  My oldest son and I plan a car trip in October ... just the two of us ... to visit youngest son.   So looking forward to that.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Since 2020. I stopped shopping at QVC and HSN (and SHOPHQ, as well). Cold turkey, stopped watching their channels on TV.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

I'm sorry for your loss @SoX .