Honored Contributor

Re: Has your attitude about shopping changed since 2019?

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Reading through the posts, I thought about something .... coupons.  If you order online and then have pick up or delivery, can you still use paper coupons?   I don't have many, but if I have a coupon for $3 off a 4 pack of protein shakes, I want to use it.

Also .... anyone else find that the digital coupons don't always work?  My favorite cashier at my favorite store says it's a huge hassle for them ......  sometimes up to half the loaded digital coupons don't actually reduce the price!  They are "loaded" on your card, but don't work.

Anyone else notice this?

@Tinkrbl44 You caused me to think how long it has been since I used any coupon but an online one.  I haven't used a clip-out coupon in I'll bet at least 15 years.  We don't get those coupon packets in the mail either, and haven't taken a print newspaper since they came out with digital.

One thing I was delighted to get was the mess of the newspaper!!!!!  I hated hauling that stack of paper out. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nope, have not changed how we shop for groceries. Shop in the wharehouse stores for bulk items, butcher shop, at the docks for seafood, and the grocery store.  Enjoy talking to the local business people and the shoppers in them.  Don't see that changing any.   Clothes shopping has though.  I purchase a lot on line now.  Haven't been to a Mall in a very long time.  The last time we went to one last year there were many, many empty store fronts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My attitude about shopping changed long before the pandemic when I developed severe dexterity issues from a medical disease. Shopping, along with a million other things in my daily life, became a huge obstacle and I dreaded waking up every single day. That was years ago and I've gotten better at getting about my day now.

Curb-side pickup and having stuff delivered to my front door saves me the agony and embarrassment of having to pick things out in a store. Awkward.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My attitude was changed for me long before 2019.  

My husband was laid off, his Dr suggested filing for disability due to his health, and knowing things were really going to change financially, I radically changed the way I shopped.  The changes were easy for me and they worked.  

I saw proof in 2017 after my second knee surgery with a complicated healing that kept me home for 4 months.  More proof in 2018 and 2019 when my husband went thru his amputation procedure that was a 364 day ordeal from start to complete healing.  Covid hit, and we were able to enjoy every day in quarantine with everything we needed.  

I only shop in person at IGA, Dollar General, and CVS.  I place a Sams Club order and a Wal-Mart order monthly; haven't set foot in Sams for 2 years and it's been 5 years since I shopped in WM.  

Never was a mall shopper; it's time wasted I can't get back, hate spending money on clothes, and can easily order the basic things I wear, including shoes.  A friend does our hair, she comes here; we wore masks for months.  I get a pedi monthly at a small one woman shop; wore a mask there too.

I have kept all of my appts up to date.  I do not go unless I have to, and we still stay in our small core group of family.  No crowds, no gatherings.  

Honored Contributor

@RedTop I admire you and yours for the hard things you have done and endured in past years!  I have you in my thoughts and prayers for some better days. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deeva wrote:

No, I never stopped going out even during tha worst of the pandemic. 
I really don't think much about Covid. 
Life is too short to spend it cooped up in the house afraid of everything.  

Thank goodness most didn't think and act this way during the height of the pandemic.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Nothing changed for me. I like to go out shopping for just about anything. I haven't  worn a mask since early last year. I don't even carry one with me anymore. And yes I had Covid 3 weeks ago. Nothing but a cold. I like shopping online for the variety especially in clothes and shoes but I want to get my food and eat in restaurants in person.

Good thing it was just a cold for you @Meowingkitty .  My dad had Covid 3 weeks ago and was in the hospital for a week.  It's a lot more than a cold for some.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it has.  I really don't enjoy shopping much anymore. I live in a rural area and even though it's only about 20 minutes to the "big city", the traffic is so conjested. I don't really think it's because of Covid though. I just don't seem to need as much, I guess.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Seriously deeva, you really don't know much about covid? Let me tell you what it did. It killed 1,030,962 in the United States. It killed 6,405,438 world wide. My brother in law was one of the deaths. His idiotic children & grandchildren would visit him as though everything was fine. One of his grandchildren gave it to him. He suffered in the ICU for a month before his lungs became so destroyed he died. This was no disease to act so caviler about it. People who ran around & acted like it wasn't a big deal helped to spread the disease. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Instacart for me.  I always hated grocery shopping.  Back in 2018 I discovered Amazon Fresh and started ordering weekly food shopping.  Then the pandemic hit and everyone else discovered Amazon.  I had stop because the times were jammed and I couldn't get an available slot.  Then I switched to instacart. Love it.  It's been smooth sailing ever since. It was crowded at first too, but it eventually worked it's way out.  So I never go to supermarkets anymore.

Then in early 2020, I had to work from home.  Hated it for a long time.  That was a major change.  Early in 2022 I went back to my office.  Much better.