Respected Contributor

Re: Has your attitude about shopping changed since 2019?

Through the whole thing I still did my weekly shopping myself but I do santitize my hands and cart and wash my hands as soon as I get home.  It sure doesn't hurt to be careful and I haven't knock on wood caught covid, for some it is mild but many did die so its good to be cautious for sure.

Respected Contributor

Not sure of the exact year, but I am much more aware of my surroundings in public places, stores, etc due to mass shootings. 

Honored Contributor

Has my attitude changed?  Nope, not even a little bit.  

I am a label reader, and enjoy the comparison shopping.  New products come in, and things I have never previously tried might go on sale and require further scrutiny. 

I also do my best thinking while shopping.  Some idea or situation might be percolating in the back of my mind while I am going down the aisles .... and at some point, my subconscious will have a message for my conscious to consider.  

Plus ... I don't want other people touching my stuff.  lol

Honored Contributor

I find it much easier to just order from Publix or Amazon Fresh. I hate putting the food away though. 

Honored Contributor

The Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 2020 definitely affected me. I remember someone bragging that she bought a single roll of TP at her local hardware store. Huge shortages, massive economic collapse, people dying in fear and pain, everyone isolated and confused, and no one was doing anything about it. It was so bad I'd rather not think about it. So many of us were just scrambling.

So I will always keep plenty of TP on hand. And in the back of the pantry I will always have a few airtight containers of the basics that will not go bad quickly: Rice, Beans, and Pasta. But that's about it as far as practical lessons learned.

Even before that horrible time in 2020 that we would all love to forget, I had already started using EveryPlate and Hello Fresh. They send me exactly the ingredients I need for only the meals I'm making that week. Including produce. So I don't need to buy a lot of produce at the grocery store. (That's not an ad I swear!)

And I grocery shop online. I've found I can budget better and label read much more easily and calmly from home using the Kroger app and website. It's almost the same as Amazon shopping. Put everything in the online cart in whatever multiples I want, get all the deals I can find, and check out using my debit card. Then I go pickup everything later. Or DH does it. So much easier!

When I shop recreationally, I actually do it for fun. Because I want to shop with someone else and/or because I want to leisurely look around at makeup or decor. That's actual fun.

Tromping up and down grocery store aisles and backtracking because I happened to forget to get yogurt when I was back in the dairy section, only to wait in line or check all that stuff out myself, is not fun for me. Then load it all in my car in the parking lot? Nah.

I do think some people mostly only get out and see other people when they go to the store (with exceptions like funerals or church obviously), so they can't imagine giving that up. But if they chose other activities to get out and see people, other places to become a regular, they wouldn't have to rely on shopping trips to fulfill those same genuine and important emotional needs.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I am a label reader, and enjoy the comparison shopping.  New products come in, and things I have never previously tried might go on sale and require further scrutiny. 

I also do my best thinking while shopping.  Some idea or situation might be percolating in the back of my mind while I am going down the aisles .... and at some point, my subconscious will have a message for my conscious to consider.  

People touch your grocery items a lot no matter what you do. A grocery worker has to put your can of peas on the shelf. And then anyone who passes by can touch it. Pick it up put it down. Leave it in the cereal section for someone else to put back and shove to the back. Same with produce. So many random people squeezing and sneezing on all the peaches and tomatoes! Bleah.

For Kroger pickup at least, they don't even pick most items from the shelves. The workers bag up the items behind the scenes. So my pick up groceries are touched by fewer hands than in-store bought groceries.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I still wear a mask in the grocery.  I don't like any produce to sit around too long, so I buy fresh from a farmer's stand or as needed from the grocery.  I usually hit the grocery store when I have a list and have loaded the coupons, etc.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

People touch your grocery items a lot no matter what you do. A grocery worker has to put your can of peas on the shelf. And then anyone who passes by can touch it. Pick it up put it down. Leave it in the cereal section for someone else to put back and shove to the back. Same with produce. So many random people squeezing and sneezing on all the peaches and tomatoes! Bleah.

For Kroger pickup at least, they don't even pick most items from the shelves. The workers bag up the items behind the scenes. So my pick up groceries are touched by fewer hands than in-store bought groceries.

@Porcelain 

I have a funny story to share about the "people touching your groceries" topic----During the pandemic my sister made the decision to do in-store grocery shopping, but she did take precautions by wearing not only a mask, but also wear to hygenic gloves to help keep stuff sanitized....One day she was in the Produce Section and a woman went up to her and in a HUFF complained, "Ma'm your touching all that celery with your HANDS looking for a specific one, but you're making the celery unsanitary!!!"  My sister firmly stated, "Ma'm I'm wearing special hygenic gloves to help keep stuff sanitary do you see anyone else taking a precaution like Im doing to try to help people stay safe?.....AND if your worried about people touching the celery then chose the celery that's ALREADY PACKAGED IN A PLASTIC BAG!!! that should keep the celery as safe as you can get and it's there  right next to you!!!!"......The woman walked off in a HUFF....SMH!!! What can one say....🙄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Nothing has changed for me or my husband.  

We go into every store we want to, go where ever we want to go, I grocery shop, in person, shop the malls and go to artshows, flea markets...what ever we want to do, we do.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

No, I never stopped going out even during tha worst of the pandemic. 
I really don't think much about Covid. 
Life is too short to spend it cooped up in the house afraid of everything.  

@deeva I feel the opposite.  I am old, life is short and it isn't worth us going out to hasten our time on earth.  Plus one of us has issues that would make. it more dangerous.  

At this point I'd rather be not around people than under the grass. . .