Honored Contributor

Has your attitude about shopping changed since 2019?

I used to wander around the grocery store looking for things.  Now I have no plans to ever be in one again.  I go online and find what I want and either I drive over and someone puts in in my car or stay home and it's on the porch!  Amazing!

I am Woman Embarassed about how much stuff I bought I didn't need by browsing in stores.  I have found there are more fun things to do!!!   I hated trying on clothes and looking and looking for things I needed.  Now it comes to me!

It is a surpise, but a good one.  One thing I miss is browsing in the library.  Our library is now geared more to social services and teaching and such than books.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has your attitude about shopping changed since 2019?

I don't think my attitude has changed.  I always enjoyed grocery shopping.  I'm one of those people who like to pick out my own stuff, you know see it and feel it.   I don't like other people touching my food, though I know it has been handled by many already but why add to it?    My grocery store that's local has a free self serve coffee bar, I find it relaxing to walk around with my coffee and take my time, it helps me not to forget anything.  They didn't have it during Covid of course, I really missed it!   

Clothing however is another story for me, it's all done online and has been for many years.  I never really enjoyed the mall or B&M shopping.  

Respected Contributor

Not at all.  

I still love to browse through certain stores and I always like to pick my own groceries.  Especially my produce and meats.  I travel to my favorite organic farm in the summer when they have produce available.  And to a meat specialty store too.

I like to see and touch and try on my clothing.  Sizing is all over the place and I hate doing returns.

I have my favorite checkers at certain stores and I chat a bit with them.   I just like to get out and about!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Regular Contributor

The pandemic never changed me one bit. I do like to shop on Amazon for certain things, but not clothing or groceries. I never stopped going to the grocery store. I still worked full time and no one I worked with socially distanced. And I'm old, 69. I just retired a month ago and I'm bored stiff now. I may go back to work at my old job, even though I have to drive 80 miles round trip a day. I love grocery shopping, always did and I never stopped. I even forgot to wear my mask a few times when it was mandated. I was in close contact with co-workers who ended up with Covid. I never had it. I was only somewhat scared in the very beginning when no one knew much about it.

Honored Contributor

Nothing about our lifestyle's comings and goings has changed.  We've never stopped going where we wanted, provided the place was open, continued dining out, stayed in a hotel, grocery shopping, etc.  I've never once done Instacart, Door Dash, or grocery pickup. The one exception has been our local pizza place. They stayed open for business but for car delivery only for a period of time.  All had been back to normal dine-in for quite awhile, but they still offer the car service for anyone who may still be apprehensive.  I think a lot of places have.

Honored Contributor

No, I just stopped by Brookshires on my way to the office to grab the Blue Bell on sale until midnight tonight.  No other customers behind me yet so I stayed a few extra minutes catching up and visiting with my favorite checker and sack man.  I still have never done delivery or curbside through any of this for any item or food.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I used to wander around the grocery store looking for things.  Now I have no plans to ever be in one again.  I go online and find what I want and either I drive over and someone puts in in my car or stay home and it's on the porch!  Amazing!

I am Woman Embarassed about how much stuff I bought I didn't need by browsing in stores.  I have found there are more fun things to do!!!   I hated trying on clothes and looking and looking for things I needed.  Now it comes to me!

It is a surpise, but a good one.  One thing I miss is browsing in the library.  Our library is now geared more to social services and teaching and such than books.

Wow-I totally echo this and even browse my beloved library on-line, place a hold and pick up curbside-I don't miss shopping in person at all!

Esteemed Contributor

No. I did both online shopping and in store shopping for years. Never had groceries delivered, as the store was always open. My attitude has remained the same throughout the years. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

Neither my attitude nor my shopping habits have changed. I can't imagine why they would. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

No -  nothing changed.  

Several times a week I'm shopping somewhere ... it's easy / convenient - all are in the neighborhood

• Bagel deli (for bagels, obviously),
  • other Deli  (love their cole slaw),
  • gourmet grocer (quick "lunch to go" and fab produce),
  • supermarket (for groceries),
  • Ace Hardware (always need something .... usually lightbulbs or Swifter fluid),
  • Walgreens (for all sorts of stuff).
  • Chipotle (love their burritos)