Respected Contributor

Has your Dog ever had a WART?

Did you do anything about it? The vet gave me some ointment and said it would never go away. Online, thousands of dog owners said castor oil made the wart disappear. I used CO daily for a month. It just made her fur greasy, and the wart is still there. Fortunately, it's on her back, so she doesn't scratch it. I don't think she feels a thing, but it sure is ugly to look at.

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Has your Dog ever had a WART?

I think most older dogs get warts at some point. Three dogs we had in the past did get them in their older years. One had to have a wart surgically removed as it seemed ""suspicious"" but I think most are harmless. Not sure of any ""home remedies.""

Esteemed Contributor

My sisters dog had some on his head bad enough they took it off.
Super Contributor

I would have it removed and ask the vet to send it out for analysis, it could become cancerous. Perhaps it's not now, but later on it could be you never know. They can grow and get quite large also.

My dog had one once and that is what I did. It didn't come back. The vet just gave him a local anesthetic and sliced it off with a scalpel, it wasn't a big deal at all. It was not cancerous.

Super Contributor

On 3/31/2015 Daysdee said:

I think most older dogs get warts at some point. Three dogs we had in the past did get them in their older years. One had to have a wart surgically removed as it seemed ""suspicious"" but I think most are harmless. Not sure of any ""home remedies.""

They do. And they also get cysts.

Esteemed Contributor

My dogs never did, but my 17-year old cat has one on her back. It has gotten rather large, but the vet said not to worry about it unless she starts to scratch or bite at it and make it bleed. She said it's a benign wart and since she has been battling kidney disease for four years now with the accompanying treatments, as well as now high blood pressure, they don't want to do anything about it. She said they cannot do it with a local, especially on a cat, and we will only consider putting her under anesthesia as an absolute last resort. It gets a waxy buildup on it sometimes, and I clean it with alcohol and then wash it off. So far, no problems.

Valued Contributor

It is SO weird to read this thread today. We have a dog and a cat and my kids just asked me this morning if dogs could get warts. I said I had never heard of it but that didn't mean it doesn't happen! I learn something new every day!

Esteemed Contributor

My sisters dog was so bad he scratched it open when no one was home and she had blood all over the walls.
Respected Contributor

On 4/1/2015 imaclotheshog said:

I would have it removed and ask the vet to send it out for analysis, it could become cancerous. Perhaps it's not now, but later on it could be you never know. They can grow and get quite large also.

My dog had one once and that is what I did. It didn't come back. The vet just gave him a local anesthetic and sliced it off with a scalpel, it wasn't a big deal at all. It was not cancerous.

Now, that is interesting, because my vet said IF he removed it, it could become cancerous. He gave me the impression, removing it acted as an irritant. Anyway, I ordered this stuff called "THUJA oil". Many people online claimed they've had success with it. It's some kind of pine tree oil. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

THANKS for your responses. Smile

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."