Honored Contributor

Has the filing for taxes deadline been extended ?

Husband swears he saw it on TV. Only thing I can find is it pertains only to people who are affected by the virus.

Anybody know the facts?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Has the filing for taxes deadline been extended ?

@SharkE wrote:

Husband swears he saw it on TV. Only thing I can find is it pertains only to people who are affected by the virus.

Anybody know the facts?

i believe i saw the same thing as your husbnd, but didn't give extended to date

Respected Contributor

In Cal. It was extended. There is supposed to be some type of announcement today. My guess it will be extended.

Esteemed Contributor

People have always been able to file for an extension when necessary, so what's the point in disrupting the expected standard on that too?

Honored Contributor

I've googled it all I can find is it pertains to people who have the virus

he wants to mess around since we always have to pay in, but, I don't want to pay fines and interest if he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Respected Contributor

nothing official yet -  recommended by the Treasury Dept per WSJournal.  maybe for 3 months?  no details yet but i would expect sooner rather than later since we're a month away.  but for people who have a due bill, and for tax professionals, this would definitely be a help.

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

People have always been able to file for an extension when necessary, so what's the point in disrupting the expected standard on that too?

@x Hedge this applies to those who have money due who could delay payment without penalties for late pay -- and would help tax professionals immensely as this is maximum crunch time. they see a lot of people in last month which may not be indicated in this environment, right?

Esteemed Contributor

@ms traditional ,

My thinking was that so much can be done electronically, replacing the face to face. Discussions by phone or skype, documents faxed or scanned/emailed, electronic signatures, etc.

Respected Contributor

Sadly many won't pay attention  to the delay details & end up owing a pentaly...don't add confusion to an already confusing mess, leave the current tax deadline in place.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge wrote:

@ms traditional ,

My thinking was that so much can be done electronically, replacing the face to face. Discussions by phone or skype, documents faxed or scanned/emailed, electronic signatures, etc.

for some yes; more problematic for small businesses. i don't know about seniors who get senior center help who won't have people dropping in to help, don't skype, etc.  this would put less pressure on IRS personnel too.