Honored Contributor

Re: Has the NFL Handled ANYTHING Right????

On 9/16/2014 Lucky Charm said:

So should the wife beaters be sent to jail?

What does that have to do with what the NFL has or has not done?

Did I miss something? I thought this line was about how the NFL responded?

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 9/16/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 9/16/2014 occasional rain said:
On 9/16/2014 terrier3 said:
On 9/16/2014 hyacinth003 said:

I don't think the NFL is equipped to be judge and jury. Don't think they should be either.

This has been going on for a long time. Hard to figure out what to do now.

Might need to think for a bit about what to do.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Judge & jury...and dispenser of punishment - that is one of Goodell's most important roles in his job description - that and negotiating TV contracts and merchandising agreements.

He's responsible for what goes on on the field but should stay out of matters better handled by law enforcement.

Nope, it's all written out in the team contracts. It is most certainly NOT merely the matter of LE.

Well then it's a question of whose morals? It's so unspecific that it's unfair. One player goes to jail and isn't banned for life while another is involved in a brawl between consenting adults and gets an indefinite suspension.

Corporations drop athletes when paying to endorse their product is no longer profitable, morals may be the reason given but it's only used when the public stops buying. There is nothing moral about most corporations, it's all about the bottom line.

Honored Contributor

On 9/16/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 9/16/2014 terrier3 said:
On 9/16/2014 hyacinth003 said:

I don't think the NFL is equipped to be judge and jury. Don't think they should be either.

This has been going on for a long time. Hard to figure out what to do now.

Might need to think for a bit about what to do.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Judge & jury...and dispenser of punishment - that is one of Goodell's most important roles in his job description - that and negotiating TV contracts and merchandising agreements.

He's responsible for what goes on on the field but should stay out of matters better handled by law enforcement.

Nope, it's all written out in the team contracts. It is most certainly NOT merely the matter of LE.

Well then it's a question of whose morals? It's so unspecific that it's unfair. One player goes to jail and isn't banned for life while another is involved in a brawl between consenting adults and gets an indefinite suspension.

Corporations drop athletes when paying to endorse their product is no longer profitable, morals may be the reason given but it's only used when the public stops buying. There is nothing moral about most corporations, it's all about the bottom line.

You will have to complain to the NFL, their sponsors or their legal team. I had nothing to do with writing the contract, nor did I have any input on the morals clause. But I would agree that it is all about profit with them. However, a morals contract is nothing new, and it's in more contracts than sports contracts.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

I was reading the stats at fivethirtyeight.com on NFL crime rates vs general population of same age group, 25-35 and their rates were lower. It just makes bigger news.

Given their supposed role model status . . . IF one subscribes to that theory . . . I don't but I guess young kids do . . .

Hopefully given their gigantic salaries . . . between the NFL League officials and sponsors, like Anheuser-Busch . . . they'll clean it up.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-rate-of-domestic-violence-arrests-among-nfl-players/

Honored Contributor

I've been friends with several NFL players over the years and dated one years ago. Most of these guys are not famous and are not wife beaters or child abusers. They're nice hard-working guys. Many of them are active in churches and charities. Only the bad stories are newsworthy to the press.
Respected Contributor

I don't know of ANY woman who wears her abuse like a badge of honor. You'd think that someone who's been there would have a lot more compassion for others suffering the same thing. There are MANY reasons why a woman would not leave her abuser and even return to one. Until I walk in their shoes I refuse to condemn them. No one deserves to be abused. NO ONE.

Honored Contributor

On 9/16/2014 bikerbabe said: I've been friends with several NFL players over the years and dated one years ago. Most of these guys are not famous and are not wife beaters or child abusers. They're nice hard-working guys. Many of them are active in churches and charities. Only the bad stories are newsworthy to the press.

And that's why I mentioned in a previous post that all this knee-jerk reaction & mob mentality (especially sponsor pullout) is silly. They're hurting a large % of the team/league that IS good.

Plus...having a BEER sponsor suddenly take a morality stance is laughable...but really...it's beyond insulting.

Honored Contributor

On 9/16/2014 Lila Belle said:

Applause, Sushimom.

How low to use that to slam biancardi and others who have been victims of abuse and criminal behavior at the hands of a spouse or partner.

Scottie was saying that there are many posters on these boards who have a story to tell of abuse and no one story says it all. Why do posters have to use another to make things worse?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

On 9/16/2014 Sushismom said:

I don't know of ANY woman who wears her abuse like a badge of honor. You'd think that someone who's been there would have a lot more compassion for others suffering the same thing. There are MANY reasons why a woman would not leave her abuser and even return to one. Until I walk in their shoes I refuse to condemn them. No one deserves to be abused. NO ONE.

thank you. Well stated.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Frequent Contributor

I don't know about women wearing their abuse as a badge. But I do know some women can't let go of their identification as a "victim". It colors all their personal relationships. They tend to take everything personally, feel that everyone's out to get them, and can't take responsibility for their lives, They need someone to blame rather than looking inward and taking responsibility for their own happiness. People who live their lives as perpetual victims have just handed over their power to their abuser. No matter how long ago the abuse happened. And that is really the sad thing. Most women pull themselves up by their bootstraps. But the unfortunate ones are doomed to wallow in their victimhood. We need to help these women break those chains.