Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has the NFL Handled ANYTHING Right????

Re: post #20, sad but true. I can't believe how many women just don't get it, not just the NFL.

Respected Contributor

Enforcing rules is one thing. Being judge and jury is another.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/16/2014 Sushismom said:

Enforcing rules is one thing. Being judge and jury is another.

Since the American taxpayer subsidizes the NFL they can think or say what they want on this matter.

Honored Contributor

If you touch a hot stove, most would learn & never touch it again.

But....

Some would touch the hot stove again.

Then touch the hot stove again,

And again,

and again,

and again,

Until their hand falls off.

Then they act shocked when someone questions their motive for continuously touching the hot stove.

Honored Contributor

Has the NFL Handled ANYTHING Right????

I heard today that the NFL is putting together a 4 person female group, not sure what they are naming it, that has something to do with domestic problems in the NFL. Heard one of them was a well known DA, I believe in NYC, and dealt with mostly domestic violence cases. I cannot verify this other than to say I saw in on a news network. Yes, that one!

In the Rice case I place more blame on the DA and the judge than I do the NFL, or least just as much. I think the Rice case was completely mishandled by the court system and my belief is that had that been me? I would not have gotten the same sentence as Rice(which basically was a non-sentence)

The other guy that now is accused of using a switch(tree branch, take your pick)on 2 of his 4 year old children? For his team, don't remember the name, to let him play is beyond my comprehension. Were this the NHL he just might be gone at least until he had been tried and exonerated or convicted. If found guilty he would never again play professional hockey in the United States or Canada.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Knee-jerk reactions usually do result in a lot of chaos. The panic among a bunch of good ole boys only makes it worse. All those years of ""winkie winkie"" & looking the other way about the boys' misbehavior now comes home to roost. Now let them dig themselves out of the pile of doo-doo they've let go for so long. Look how long it took them to start to even try to make right all the wrongs involved with head injuries over the years.

Honored Contributor

On 9/16/2014 hckynut said:

Has the NFL Handled ANYTHING Right????

I heard today that the NFL is putting together a 4 person female group, not sure what they are naming it, that has something to do with domestic problems in the NFL. Heard one of them was a well known DA, I believe in NYC, and dealt with mostly domestic violence cases. I cannot verify this other than to say I saw in on a news network. Yes, that one!

In the Rice case I place more blame on the DA and the judge than I do the NFL, or least just as much. I think the Rice case was completely mishandled by the court system and my belief is that had that been me? I would not have gotten the same sentence as Rice(which basically was a non-sentence)

The other guy that now is accused of using a switch(tree branch, take your pick)on 2 of his 4 year old children? For his team, don't remember the name, to let him play is beyond my comprehension. Were this the NHL he just might be gone at least until he had been tried and exonerated or convicted. If found guilty he would never again play professional hockey in the United States or Canada.

I agree with you that the NHL would have been a lot harder on him. I just don't see the same problems in the NHL...not that they are perfect either!

I can't believe the fans who think these guys should still be playing...and the women wearing their jerseys and rooting for them.

At least 9 sponsors have expressed disappointment. Anheuser-Busch is their #1 sponsor and said they are VERY concerned and don't feel the league's response has been adequate so far.

Honored Contributor

On 9/16/2014 VCamp2748 said:

Knee-jerk reactions usually do result in a lot of chaos. The panic among a bunch of good ole boys only makes it worse. All those years of "winkie winkie" & looking the other way about the boys' misbehavior now comes home to roost. Now let them dig themselves out of the pile of doo-doo they've let go for so long. Look how long it took them to start to even try to make right all the wrongs involved with head injuries over the years.

While I do not claim to be even close to an expert on domestic violence, why is it the responsibility of a person's employer to make sure they do not and are not breaking a law? Should every employer start looking at all their employee's domestic bliss, or lack of it? I don't see why the NFL should be any more involved in what one of their employees does when it comes to domestic violence or breaking any laws. If so, than every company should also have that same responsibility for all of their employees.

I've followed the evolution of helmets in the National Hockey League(NHL) from no players wearing helmets to making them a requirement at all levels starting with the youngest, which is the Youth Mites Leagues. Every year they have gotten better and more protective, but players have also gotten bigger/heavier/stronger and faster, so what might have been the best a few years ago is no longer that good today.

I don't quite understand your position on the NFL and head injuries. I would be surprised if the NFL was not doing as much or more research on helmets and the NHL to help prevent head injuries via concussions. Also do not understand why you seem to be removing the players responsibility from the equation when it comes to head injuries sustained because of their choice to play professional football.

Sure, nobody knew what the future would bring when it came to sustaining one head injury after another. However, each player that suffered a concussion knew full well after each one how much longer it took to get back to some semblance of normalcy during their recovery from each one of them. I look at this as the players responsibility of understanding what his body is telling him. At this level of a sport an athlete should be able to read pretty well the signals his body is sending him, and if not? He ain't been paying any attention to it, and for a long, long time.

I know 2 young men that have played hockey since they were 5 years old. Played all the way through Youth Hockey and High School Hockey programs. Both of these young men were offered "full ride scholarships" to a Major College, hockey of course. Both of them excepted them, but only 1 ended up going to college. The second one, the son of a very good friend of mine, had a concussion during one of the last few games of his High School Hockey.

His father, which is now and Oral Surgeon, took him to several Sports Neurologists and had them do their thing concerning his concussion issues. This was his 3rd concussion during his hockey playing years. All of these doctors came up with the same conclusion. If he received another serious concussion he could become a paraplegic or worse. This 18 year old was crushed but his father told him it was his decision to make. He chose to not play hockey at that level any longer and instead became a fireman in our city/an ENT and also a Paramedic.

He played in my Adult Hockey League for 2 years so he could at least be around the game he played almost all of his life. He moved out of our city and I am not sure where he is living at this time.

He made a decision at age 18 and I guess you are saying that other older men cannot make their own decision after playing High School/probably some college football, before deciding to play on an NFL team?

I disagree. The onus in on the player not his employer.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I'm not rooting for any of these men nor for the NFJ, but I do want to understand why their crimes (alleged crimes?) are being judged and punished by their employers rather than by the same courts other criminals are subject to. How does that work?

Everyone needs to be concerned, but because there are so many incidents of domestic abuse and child abuse, I think one of the worst things that could happen would be for the NFL to adopt new standards to hold their employees to and then for everyone to back off and pretend the uproar solved a societal problem. hardly the tip of the iceberg in my estimation.

Honored Contributor

On 9/16/2014 hckynut said:

While I do not claim to be even close to an expert on domestic violence, why is it the responsibility of a person's employer to make sure they do not and are not breaking a law? Should every employer start looking at all their employee's domestic bliss, or lack of it? I don't see why the NFL should be any more involved in what one of their employees does when it comes to domestic violence or breaking any laws. If so, than every company should also have that same responsibility for all of their employees.

I've followed the evolution of helmets in the National Hockey League(NHL) from no players wearing helmets to making them a requirement at all levels starting with the youngest, which is the Youth Mites Leagues. Every year they have gotten better and more protective, but players have also gotten bigger/heavier/stronger and faster, so what might have been the best a few years ago is no longer that good today.

I don't quite understand your position on the NFL and head injuries. I would be surprised if the NFL was not doing as much or more research on helmets and the NHL to help prevent head injuries via concussions. Also do not understand why you seem to be removing the players responsibility from the equation when it comes to head injuries sustained because of their choice to play professional football.

Sure, nobody knew what the future would bring when it came to sustaining one head injury after another. However, each player that suffered a concussion knew full well after each one how much longer it took to get back to some semblance of normalcy during their recovery from each one of them. I look at this as the players responsibility of understanding what his body is telling him. At this level of a sport an athlete should be able to read pretty well the signals his body is sending him, and if not? He ain't been paying any attention to it, and for a long, long time.

I know 2 young men that have played hockey since they were 5 years old. Played all the way through Youth Hockey and High School Hockey programs. Both of these young men were offered "full ride scholarships" to a Major College, hockey of course. Both of them excepted them, but only 1 ended up going to college. The second one, the son of a very good friend of mine, had a concussion during one of the last few games of his High School Hockey.

His father, which is now and Oral Surgeon, took him to several Sports Neurologists and had them do their thing concerning his concussion issues. This was his 3rd concussion during his hockey playing years. All of these doctors came up with the same conclusion. If he received another serious concussion he could become a paraplegic or worse. This 18 year old was crushed but his father told him it was his decision to make. He chose to not play hockey at that level any longer and instead became a fireman in our city/an ENT and also a Paramedic.

He played in my Adult Hockey League for 2 years so he could at least be around the game he played almost all of his life. He moved out of our city and I am not sure where he is living at this time.

He made a decision at age 18 and I guess you are saying that other older men cannot make their own decision after playing High School/probably some college football, before deciding to play on an NFL team?

I disagree. The onus in on the player not his employer.

"While I do not claim to be even close to an expert on domestic violence, why is it the responsibility of a person's employer to make sure they do not and are not breaking a law?"

Most contracts contain a morality clause. I'd be surprised if the NFL didn't have that built in.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices