Honored Contributor

Re: Has inflation changed your life, spending, and what you do?

I have cut back drastically.  Prices are skyrocketing, stock market is in a fall, world situation looks bad, supply chains are a mess and inflation is taking a huge bite.

My health care went up drastically, and my mom's nursing home fee shot up because of the COVID money paying more for medicaid--which she is not on, but it caused private prices to go up a huge increase. 

But so far I am blessed to be able to pay.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't felt the need to change my shopping habits yet, although I did pass on a package of four steaks at Costco a few weeks ago 😬

Right now I am not buying much in the way of clothing, entertainment or household items as I am clearing out this home to get it on the market.  This is my last year as a snowbird.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@gidgetgh 

You sound pleased, and well settled in your new home.  I do remember your loss, and am happy to hear that things turned out so well for you.  Best Wishes.

@Drythe - thank you so much. This move was huge for me, on more than one level.  I am still a work in progress, as we all are.  A year and a half later, the grief really hasn't eased up much.  You just get used to it.  I'm hoping this move will help me right the ship some. I'd like to be happy again some day. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I'm frugal, my only splurge is volunteering...with the cost of essentials going up & up I had to cut back from serving the whole County to those that are nearby, hated doing it but had to. 

Honored Contributor

Some folks around here are sitting in their cars, texting with their engines running.  

We walk around for a half hour or so, and as we return, cars still running........

In their driveways, or in parking lots.

On mild weather days (no snow or high heat days).

Sometimes I think that some folks don't really care about gas prices, for whatever reason.

Maybe they figure that they can afford the high prices?  

'Money comes easy' via credit cards, I guess.

It's a mystery.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Yeah, crazy prices all over- Food, oil, And workers who are hurting, trying to compensate by overcharging me-  Luckily we are ok but it's getting rougher- 

Respected Contributor

No it hasn't. I've always clipped coupons and bought in bulk when items go on sale. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't changed much but then I haven't been spending much during this pandemic.  I am still paying to get groceries delivered - I think I got addicted!   Not eating out or going to movies/plays etc.  

Regular Contributor

My husband likes to have meat with his meals so I have really cut back on how much I put in a package to freeze and my serving size.   I could live without it anyway.   I am eating all the leftovers now since he wont take them to work.  I am not a leftover person but I hate throwing food away.

He now takes my Honda to work since it gets better gas mileage then his small pick up truck.  I maybe run to the store once or twice a week which is about 3 miles round trip  We have had the Honda almost 5 years and it just rolled to 30 thousand miles so it doesn't get driven alot.  Now it does.

Other then that just eating out.  There is not too much you can cut out except for things like cable and cell phones.  If it gets bad those will have to go.  We can live with one cell phone.  

Trusted Contributor

I am very concerned about the price of gasoline.  I have always tried to consolidate trips to do errands, etc. and will continue to do that.  We live a simple life, but we do have a lake house 2 hours away.  We will make fewer trips back and forth to save on gas. 

As for groceries, I stock up on ground beef when it is on sale. We eat very little other meat.  I make breakfast-for-supper one night a week.  Eggs are still a good value.