Trusted Contributor

Re: Has call blocker/do not call list expired? 1/3/2019

I find that the calls always flood in at the beginning of the month.  It seems as if they purchase a batch of number to annoy and start calling.  I also notice they will all flood in at once later in the month as well.

Esteemed Contributor

The last couple of weeks has been a delight - no calls. Well, they are making up for lost time on my phone. 

I never answer to a number I don't recognize and yet they keep calling. And they are persistent. I had 3 calls just before Christmas regarding my credit card - they even left a voicemail and gave me a number to call back. As it happens, I had used my CC for some big purchases that day so I was concerned something was wrong. Instead of calling the number they left me, I called my CC direct and everything was fine - Whew.

However, it seemed like it could have been such a "real" thing. It's unfortunate, but I can see how people can be "taken" by these scams.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt  I am not 50 either nor am I getting there this year.  If AARP sends me anything a day before I turn the big 5-0, I may need bail.  That's just wrong.  

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4@SilleeMee@SunValley@Scooby Doo@Spurt@Laura14

Guess what? Today, due to govt shut.   Down.... the do not call list department site is off-line! 

NOOOOOOOA!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

Anyone get those annoying calls saying you may qualify for a free medical brace for your knees or back?  I get 3 of those a day and they do leave a message in my voice mail.  I wish they would get shut down.  And they always call from a different number.

@Scooby Doo

I dont get the medical brace calls but did get a lot for a First Alert System.......I filed a complaint and indicated the phone number they left on my answering and amazingly the calls stopped https://www.ftc.gov/complaint

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@LTT1  ROFLMAO!  It's not funny to the people who are not getting paid I know but you just can't make this up. 

I tried to get the forms for the IRS free file yesterday and they are "closed for the season."  I guess if it goes on long enough, the IRS isn't collecting a dime from any of us.  

Regular Contributor

If I have to I unplug the landline as well I will.  I don't feel I should have to pay more money to block calls by buying a device. It is frustrating though. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Laura14.  Picking up your phone is the worse thing you can do.  You let the telemarketers know it's a live, working number so they'll keep trying until you answer, then they'll try some more.  Just let it ring.  They'll usually hang up at 4 rings because they don't want to talk to your answering machine.

If that weren't enough, when you legitimize your phone number by picking up, they also sell the number to more like them.   That's a big business!