Honored Contributor

Has anyone used the Adaptil collar for their dogs?

I found a new vet that will help with rescues and she told me about these. I had never heard of them before but she said they've had great success with them for high stressed, anxious and traumatized dogs. I've talked to others who have used them too with good success. Just wondering if anyone here has used them and your thoughts.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone used the Adaptil collar for their dogs?

Have used in the past and I will say I saw limited improvement. Think it really depends on the stress level. If the dog is really stressed or anxious you will see limited results. Using the collar along with other behavior and desensitizing techniques will give you the best benefits. Many people believe these collar to be the solution, they are not. They are just another tool used in training.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Thank you. Yes, I am not looking for a solution but one more helpful product to add to our arsenal. Different techniques work for different dogs certainly. Many of these dogs require alot of behavioural training/re-conditioning but it is harder to train them when they are stressed. Even a little bit of improvement is better than none!

Honored Contributor

I had to look this up to see what it was. I used to foster dogs at times and used a diffuser that you plugged into the wall. It was called DAP, which is what Adaptil was until they changed their name (according to their website). I think the primary reason that I used this was for a dog that I had that was afraid of storms. It's been so long ago that I really don't remember, except that I don't think it really helped. If other people seem to have success with the collar though, it couldn't hurt to try it. You've probably already looked at their website, but they make the collar, the diffuser and a spray.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

On 4/7/2015 NickNack said:

I had to look this up to see what it was. I used to foster dogs at times and used a diffuser that you plugged into the wall. It was called DAP, which is what Adaptil was until they changed their name (according to their website). I think the primary reason that I used this was for a dog that I had that was afraid of storms. It's been so long ago that I really don't remember, except that I don't think it really helped. If other people seem to have success with the collar though, it couldn't hurt to try it. You've probably already looked at their website, but they make the collar, the diffuser and a spray.

Thank you! Yes I heard the spray can be helpful to spray in crates, cars, etc. It can't hurt to try, as you said. Smiley Happy