Honored Contributor

@HULAGIRL wrote:

I appreciate the responses.......I opened an account about a month ago when I heard it had come to my city.  I'm going on a vacation in a couple of weeks and wanted to use them to take me to the airport.  I live alone and do not have family......I would never ask a friend to get up to take me to the airport in time to catch a 6:00 a.m. plane.  I have left my car at the airport for my trips before, but I hate paying that horendous parking bill at the end of the trip.   Again, thanks everyone!!  hg

I hear you - about the parking (or shuttle) fees and about being alone and having only yourself to count on. Have a great trip!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I'm about to use them Thursday. Have never used before. I hope they come promptly because mine is to take me to surgery 😬

@Moonchilde

I hope all goes well with your surgery.

Thank you, @Drythe, it's my other eye (cataract) so I'll be able to see for real after surgery ;-)

Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone used Uber??

[ Edited ]

@HULAGIRL wrote:
Did you like it?? We're they pretty fast?

My 21 year old Son and his friends use Uber - on the weekends when they are drinking.  They do not have to worry about parking, having their vehicles broken into and its cheaper than a lawyer !

They love it.  The drivers they have had are friendly and the cars are very clean.  NOW in this instance - it is several guys and girls (they send someone out with a SUV - the size of a Suburban) so there is really no danger of a assault.  

In regards to all the bad stories - there are a lot of pee-ood taxi drivers too.  When I was younger we had some cheaper guys pick us up.  I would insist on seeing some ID from any driver.

Trusted Contributor

My son who lives in LA doesn't have a car and uses Uber everywhere he has to go.  Never had a problem.  

As far as the airport goes, I believe only some Ubers will pick you up at the airport when you arrive at your destination.  You have to check beforehand.  They're all allowed to drop you off at the airport.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What is the difference between  a taxi and Uber? It seems like Uber is the new trendy way to get a ride.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@missy1 wrote:

What is the difference between  a taxi and Uber? It seems like Uber is the new trendy way to get a ride.

Depending upon the class of vehicle you choose to request, it's nearly always cheaper. Otherwise, it couldn't compete. Taxi companies hate Uber. But at least in my city, I ca also use Uber to call a cab.

And no money (except tip) changes hands, so no need to worry about having cash on you to pay for the ride. You pay through the Uber app, and have a very good idea what the cost will be BEFORE you call them.

Respected Contributor

We used it in California , New York and home in New Jersey . Great,fast service, cheaper prices, especially in California. They do not accept tips in Cal! NY and NJ are more spoiled.

Honored Contributor

@SANNA wrote:

We used it in California , New York and home in New Jersey . Great,fast service, cheaper prices, especially in California. They do not accept tips in Cal! NY and NJ are more spoiled.

From what I have read in several online blogs and articles written by drivers, CA (at least SoCal) drivers certainly do want tips. Esp if you want to ever be p/u by the same driver again ;-). Short trips especially, the drivers make almost nothing from Uber, so every little bit helps. My trip should be about $10-11, so a couple of dollars tip is little enough, IMO.

Honored Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@LonestarBabs wrote:

I personally haven't used them. But, I would caution anyone who does to make sure the driver is credentialed and insured. We've had problems here in Dallas with a driver who faked credentials and committed sexual assault,  and another who claimed to be an Uber driver but creeped out his passengers so much they requested to be let out immediately. Text or call someone to let them know where you are being picked up, what is your destination, etc.

I don't mean to create fear, just issue caution. I think the Uber concept is great!

In my huge urban area, this kind of thing is all we hear - much Uber driver badness. But one of my employers' elderly parents use them ALL the time and he's all for it.  My first use will be in a very busy area in the middle of the day, so I don't feel too creeped.

If it were me I would have a friend or family member take me, not sure i would want to deal with the stress of something new like that on the day I have surgery.

I have never used them but recently a woman Uber driver was murdered in her car in a grocery store parking lot.

Can you tell me where this happened?  DH and I were looking into Uber for an upcoming trip.  I started to google stories, etc. and I never found a story about this.  I did find a male driver was killed here but they didn't know if he was on a call or not and I found other not so great Uber stories. 

Super Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@LonestarBabs wrote:

I personally haven't used them. But, I would caution anyone who does to make sure the driver is credentialed and insured. We've had problems here in Dallas with a driver who faked credentials and committed sexual assault,  and another who claimed to be an Uber driver but creeped out his passengers so much they requested to be let out immediately. Text or call someone to let them know where you are being picked up, what is your destination, etc.

I don't mean to create fear, just issue caution. I think the Uber concept is great!

In my huge urban area, this kind of thing is all we hear - much Uber driver badness. But one of my employers' elderly parents use them ALL the time and he's all for it.  My first use will be in a very busy area in the middle of the day, so I don't feel too creeped.

If it were me I would have a friend or family member take me, not sure i would want to deal with the stress of something new like that on the day I have surgery.

I have never used them but recently a woman Uber driver was murdered in her car in a grocery store parking lot.

Can you tell me where this happened?  DH and I were looking into Uber for an upcoming trip.  I started to google stories, etc. and I never found a story about this.  I did find a male driver was killed here but they didn't know if he was on a call or not and I found other not so great Uber stories. 

so. ca