Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone used Uber??

[ Edited ]

There is an interesting summary of the assaults and other attacks that have involved Uber and Lyft drivers on

whosdrivingyou.org/rideshare-incidents

(Sorry, can't get the hyper link to work, just type in your browser).

(One fellow picked a woman up at her house, dropped her off at the airport and then drove back to her house and burglarized it.)

Probably a very small percentage of the total Uber population, but it is a good thing to be informed.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Valued Contributor

I have used them quite a few times and have not had any issues. My boyfriend's mother did have a uber driver that took her a longer way than he should have, which cost more, but my boyfriend was refunded the money, so if they take you a way you normally woudn't go, speak up.

Honored Contributor

I used Uber once and the experience was about 1000 times better than using a taxi.  I don't know what op means by "fast".  Uber driver arrived promptly, the car was roomy and clean and fresh smelling, the driver was pleasant and most surprising of all, he actually knew the roads.  He knew where I wanted to go and I did not have give him directions.  I think the folks who criticize Uber are very naive and only parroting what they heard somone else say.  Yes, Uber had a handful of alleged incidents over a year ago but we have also had a few alleged incidents re taxi drivers.  When you factor in the thousands upon thousands of rides; it's obious to anyone  both Uber and taxis are safe.  Uber is more reliable and the Uber cars are cleaner and more comfortable.  I can't tell you how many "stinky" cabs I've been in.  So, now when I work late and I want a ride from my office to the train station; Uber will be my ride of choice.     

Honored Contributor

My husband uses it and has not experienced any problems.

Esteemed Contributor

My son has used it, my husband has used it, and I used it once with my husband.  No problems so far .. reliable, fast and cheap!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

I've used Uber a number of times and at all hours and they've been great.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

We used it in Daytona Beach, not the easiest place to get a taxi, but Uber was great.

I'm not as happy with their business model though - drivers get no benefits or protections.

Trusted Contributor

I use them all the time.  They come quickly, the drivers have been very courteous, friendly, even opening the doors and taking shopping bags out of the trunk and bringing them to my door.  They are much cheaper than taxis or car service and the drivers go through a very thorough investigation. 

As as a matter of fact, my nephew sometimes drives for Uber on the weekends at night especially in Hoboken Nj where Uber is taking business away from those crabby and disrespectful cabbies.  So I am well aware of how strict they are with their drivers.  I would recommend Uber to anyone.

Honored Contributor

Thanks Jenniferjuniper.

We first heard about Uber when we were in Nashville last year.  The hotel staff was telling us about it.  Because we knew little to nothing about it we opted to just take a bus to a few places and got a taxi to take us to the airport when we were ready to leave.  Anytime we needed a taxi the hotel got it for us.

Someone who is related to someone I know is an Uber driver.  It's his second job so he only does it in the evenings and weekends part-time.  I've not seen him since he started driving for them to talk to him about it.

We are going to be in Nashville again next month which is why I was looking into it a little more.  I know it's cheaper than a taxi but we walk around more than we need to be driven anywhere.

Contributor

I'm a new Uber user.   Used it for the first time.....Home to shopping.  Wonderful experience.  Used again to be picked up at shopping and return home.   All again perfect.

BUT here's my question:  On the app screen it shows the "TO" blank but the "FROM" shows were I was picked up on last trip.

So how do I clear that since I need the pick up to be my home, not where I was picked up last.

Frustrating to try to get aswer from Uber.

T/U Rose